Clutch

rab3rd

Inferno Blaze? While tunable, is it dependable? Assuming the bully set up...

Thinking of giving it a try on a sprint kart.

Inferno Blaze? While tunable, is it dependable? Assuming the bully set up...

Thinking of giving it a try on a sprint kart.
Pete Muller has an article on clutches on his web site. I feel it’s a very important perspective on clutches. Nothing on dependability, but it’s one of the most instructive articles I’ve ever seen on clutches. I often tell people to read it.

I have not seen Pete's article 'yet'! However, i have 'yet' too hear of ANY-BODY that 'has ran' an Inferno clutch that has NOT been completely satisfied, and....NO, i'm not a Dealer. (I hope my competition is not reading this)

I believe the Blaze has a little smaller shoes than the Flame or Fury IIRC, so if your running heavier classes (375lbs and up), the Flame or Fury would be the better choices IMO. And yes, the Bully conversions are worth it IMO also.

Go with the Hilliard Flame. We are a Hilliard dealer and keep inventory. Call if you need anything.

Holeshot Clutches- (443) 942-5543

I've been using the Hilliard Clutch for 4 years and have had great success with it. Had the blaze for 2 years and now run the Flame, and am the only one in my class with a drum and run right up front with the rest of them. With proper cleaning and setup you will be still very competitive. I'd recommend this clutch to anyone.

How does the Flame stack up against the Mongrel from ARC?

I like the flame. They sell really well and i never get the annoying chattering with this clutch and its easy to work on. I've tested the noram and stinger and I choose the flame. I've never messed with the Mongrel clutch.

Fury all the way for me, but if i were to upgrade to one of the other models inferno sells, it would be the flame without a doubt. You can buy replacement shoes, springs, and a tuning kit for the flame to get the most out of it and still be legal for stock classes or run right with the people who have disc clutches also.

I pulled my Mongrel last night to clean and lube it and it is not wearing evenly. only about half, at most, of the shoe looks like its engaging the drum. The shoes are discolored too. Im new to these clutches, should it get hot enough to turn the shoes different colors? Or is that a sign of its gone too far and needs to be replaced?

The shoes are discolored too. Im new to these clutches, should it get hot enough to turn the shoes different colors? Or is that a sign of its gone too far and needs to be replaced?
The only time I’ve ever seen shoes discolor is when the clutch was slipping at too high an RPM. Do you have a tack?

Yes, I have a Mychron 4 installed. In my last race it seemed like it was slipping a lot more than it did when it was brand new, couldnt really say at what RPM's but it was defo higher than normal. I run sprint so there is a fair amount of on/off in a lap and some trail braking so I know Im abusing the thing a little but I only have about 8 hours at the most on the clutch.

I'm about ready to jump to an Inferno Flame so I can have some tuning and the ability to do my own rebuilds. Just trying to learn as much as I can from the experts here. ;-)

Good choice...sounds like your drum isn't true..it has to mate with the shoe..a lot of the shoe clutches need the drums machined on s lathe to make them round so it mates with the shoe properly. Its what you get with stamped steel. The hilliard bully conversion kits have been true out the box lately..but it all depends on the batch it seems like. So when I sell my blueprinted Hilliard flames, i machine basket as needed.

The Mongrel is suppose to be machined per the ARC website so I assume it has been done. Its probably abuse on my part as I am a new racer.

The Mongrel is suppose to be machined per the ARC website so I assume it has been done. Its probably abuse on my part as I am a new racer.

The Hilliard is "machined" also inside and has grooves but its not the same. No matter what you do on the track you should get full contact pattern of the shoe...

Call me if you want a flame... $69 for flame blueprinted and setup for your class. I recommend the bully conversion kit for additonal $33 so you can use bully drivers on it. The flame itself for $69 is like a $120-$130 value if I charged for the blueprint and setup..I don't make much on them obviously. I pretty much just sell them as promotion for my business. Gets me futute work from people that buy them sometimes and then I make my money.

Holeshot Clutches
443-942-5543

Back