Cobra racing tire

I have run 10 & 9 psi before on a banked track with good grip and I feel like I could have went up even more. Only wiped prep at the track. Box Stock 375 lb.

The tires were a bit too soft for the track though. They were punching 50.

Put on our new set of Cobras this past weekend that we've had in the shop for a few months. Ran them straight out of the wrapper with nothing more than a couple wipes of Black sand and acrysol and we came from the back to the front and won both Jr2 heats at Original Speedway Park this past weekend! Also won the first feature and almost took the second money race that day but got dumped with 2 to go. These tires may not be perfect everywhere but they really surprised us this time! I'm really curious to see what they'd do with just a little internal!

I found out they stretch fast! Be careful especially if you're used to stretching Maxxis and doing it in a hot box! When I first mounted my Cobras my Rights were only 33.5" so I through about 30psi in them and put them in the hotbox.... 15 mins later they were 35"!!

I ran Cobra`s at Daytona last month and here`s what happened. I`m one month away from 70 years old and have never ran Daytona so I wanted to scratch it off my bucket list. My kart is a completely rebuilt 1997 Trick Typhoon with a rebuilt and newly blueprinted TS Racing KT 100, TSOW pipe with 9 5/8 flex, Bully 3 disc set at .250. I ran with the Unlimited Allstars. The first practice at Daytona were the first laps I have run in 12 years. I ran a 6.00 tire on the RF because Trick told me that is the tire they used when the kart was designed and it handled great compared to the 8.00 I had run in the past. Other tires were LF 4.50 LR 6.00 all on 6" wide wheels and RR 8.00 on a 8.78 wide wheel.

Day 1 First practice - New Cobra`s punching 52 no prep air at LF 6 RF 7 LR 5 RR 7, spun first two turns I hit.
Lowered air to LF 2 RF 4 LR 3 RR 4 for qualifying and prepped with equal parts of Track Tac GKI Blue, BTGP Red, Black Sand and a little Wintergreen.
Qualifying time was 17.81 in day time, cloudy upper 60`s temp.
Race time was about 11:30 pm with temps around 55, my fast time was 18.46.

Day 2 Prep, tire pressures and weather about same as above.
Two minor adjustments I had to make were RF tire moved out, rubbing tie rod and RR moved out, rubbing frame.
Qualifying time was 17.57.
Race time was 18.22 after 6 laps, Unlimiteds were running 3 - 4 seconds faster and I wanted to get out of their way.

Previous years qualifying times when Yamaha`s ran were; 2013 - 18.25, 2014 - 17.23 and 2015 - 17.06.
I feel I did pretty good for an old man and an old kart.
I had a set of new untouched Vegas yellows but didn`t want to use them.
I wanted to give the Cobra`s a good test and see how they would hold up.
In my opinion the held up very well and showed almost no wear on Daytona`s rough Limestone track.
A week after Daytona my Cobra`s were punching 46 - 48.

Last edited:
I ran Cobra`s at Daytona last month and here`s what happened. I`m one month away from 70 years old and have never ran Daytona so I wanted to scratch it off my bucket list. My kart is a completely rebuilt 1997 Trick Typhoon with a rebuilt and newly blueprinted TS Racing KT 100, TSOW pipe with 9 5/8 flex, Bully 3 disc set at .250. I ran with the Unlimited Allstars. The first practice at Daytona were the first laps I have run in 12 years. I ran a 6.00 tire on the RF because Trick told me that is the tire they used when the kart was designed and it handled great compared to the 8.00 I had run in the past. Other tires were LF 4.50 LR 6.00 all on 6" wide wheels and RR 8.00 on a 8.78 wide wheel.

Day 1 First practice - New Cobra`s punching 52 no prep air at LF 6 RF 7 LR 5 RR 7, spun first two turns I hit.
Lowered air to LF 2 RF 4 LR 3 RR 4 for qualifying and prepped with equal parts of Track Tac GKI Blue, BTGP Red, Black Sand and a little Wintergreen.
Qualifying time was 17.81 in day time, cloudy upper 60`s temp.
Race time was about 11:30 pm with temps around 55, my fast time was 18.46.

Day 2 Prep, tire pressures and weather about same as above.
Two minor adjustments I had to make were RF tire moved out, rubbing tie rod and RR moved out, rubbing frame.
Qualifying time was 17.57.
Race time was 18.22 after 6 laps, Unlimiteds were running 3 - 4 seconds faster and I wanted to get out of their way.

Previous years qualifying times when Yamaha`s ran were; 2013 - 18.25, 2014 - 17.23 and 2015 - 17.06.
I feel I did pretty good for an old man and an old kart.
I had a set of new untouched Vegas yellows but didn`t want to use them.
I wanted to give the Cobra`s a good test and see how they would hold up.
In my opinion the held up very well and showed almost no wear on Daytona`s rough Limestone track.
A week after Daytona my Cobra`s were punching 46 - 48.
You will not get any wear at that track. Brand new Maxxis did not wear there either.
Just for reference, we qualified 3rd Pro Senior Champ Day 2, at a 17.029. After practice, 2 classes of qualifying, we could still see the T3 stamp on the tire.

Had to cut a cobra off the rim last night. I had left it over the winter, couldn't get it off. Anyhow, here is what the inside of a cobra looks like.

Attachments

• 20210406_191316.jpg
    20210406_191316.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 136
Had to cut a cobra off the rim last night. I had left it over the winter, couldn't get it off. Anyhow, here is what the inside of a cobra looks like.
You need a better bead breaker, I just flipped 12 sets of Cobras & Vegas last weekend, that have been sitting since Sept.

Back