Cobra Tire Modifications on Dirt

Chuck D17

For those running Cobra Tires on Dirt, what are you doing to them if anything ? I'm being told they need nothing done to them, no cutting, no prep. If that's true that would be most welcomed but I'm skeptical.

I'm thinking a light scuff w/220 grit on a belt sander and that's it.

Interested to hear from people actually running them what they're doing to them.

Thanks for the input !

jaymancds

Premium User
For those running Cobra Tires on Dirt, what are you doing to them if anything ? I'm being told they need nothing done to them, no cutting, no prep. If that's true that would be most welcomed but I'm skeptical.

Interested to hear from people actually running them what they're doing to them.

Thanks for the input !
I sand them, and only do external prep. The set I rolled turned into goo. I have gone through 3 sets of them this year. My only complaint is I have to flip them more often than my maxxis.

Chuck D17

I sand them, and only do external prep. The set I rolled turned into goo. I have gone through 3 sets of them this year. My only complaint is I have to flip them more often than my maxxis.

If you're willing to say, what prep are you using ?

Kj26

Rolled internal or external and with what to turn them into goo ?

jaymancds

Premium User
If you're willing to say, what prep are you using ?
Rolled internal or external and with what to turn them into goo ?
Disclaimer, Im not an expert, this is just what has been working for me.

The set that turned to goo was rolled with Nall's blue internal, and had a combination of Nalls green, yellow, and purple used on it externally at different times. They would never harden back up, and then eventually were duroing in the upper teens low 20s. Theyve been sitting since the first week of june, still arent harder than 40.

What I have been using with some good success is a mixture of FMS Green and Perfection Extreme Green. The Extreme green is pretty thick, and somewhat oily, so I cut it with the FMS green to get it a bit thinner. This combo has gotten me my first win, and 4 top 3s including two heat wins, and a second place Saturday night. As the evening falls between the heats and features I will wipe a round or two of Bubbas Concept red, and then hit the track with the tires wet with that green combo.

I'm willing to help everybody, even if it is to my detriment ;)

Kj26

Ok thanks. The set we won (400) and finished 2nd (350) with 2 weeks ago had 60cc internal with bite wiped on the outside. I shoulda softened them up a tad to get em to fire faster, but I didn’t and that was a day race with a hard track.
I’m not sure how much you flip your Maxxis, but I flip our Vegas every 2 races and it looks like the Cobras will be on the same rotation.

jaymancds

Premium User
Ok thanks. The set we won (400) and finished 2nd (350) with 2 weeks ago had 60cc internal with bite wiped on the outside. I shoulda softened them up a tad to get em to fire faster, but I didn’t and that was a day race with a hard track.
I’m not sure how much you flip your Maxxis, but I flip our Vegas every 2 races and it looks like the Cobras will be on the same rotation.
So far I have gotten between 3 and 4 races on the maxxis, and I'm flipping cobras either every race, or every other race depending on how the track was.

Kj26

Yea with as soft as your running them I can see doing it weekly. I’ll run the Vegas 2 races flip, 2 more flip, 1 and dismount to the forsale pile.

Kj26

Thanks for the input !

Chuck I’m sanding with 240. I’ll be at Caroga Saturday, I’m thinking with the slower speeds of the predator you won’t have to do much. We’ll be running FH 375 & Clone 360.

OVALTECH1

Premium User
I have 3 sets. Two are untouched just a 220 cross hatch and go the last is 220 crosshatched and I have put some trac tac orange prw or diamond on them. It dropped them roughly 10 points in duro. I love em and win with them great tire for the money.

1fasttiller

We ran 2 heats and 2 features with a new set out of the wrapper last week, Definitely feathered up the inside of the Rights. I'm thinking they will need flipped about every 2 races and this was only Jr2. Bad fast tire out of the wrapper though with NOTHING rolled internally. Only light wipes of some tracktac stuff on the outside before hitting the track. I plan to buy more and definitely get some rolled to see how they respond.