Cobras

I just bought a set and I have read about them on here about how prep will soften these like crazy. I am gonna mount them and just wipe them with some bite throughout the week. What else should I know engorge working with these tires? Is staggering easy with them? I have always ran maxxis and still am but want to try out the cobras.

Ive had a set riding in my tailer for 2 years now. Ran them once at an asphalt track and they were good there. Yeah theyre fairly soft. I wouldn't hesitate to try them on dirt but I doubt they are actually faster than our Burris, Vegas or Maxxis, whatever the track we are running requires. If you are happy with what you're running why make the change? One of these days we will find a cold damp track and try them out.

I'm not a fan of Cobras, but we've got a few customers who are actually running well with them using our Medium Rare internal (doesn't soften or break the sidewalls down) 2 ounces in the right sides and 1 ounce in the lefts, and several wipes of our Black Bite 2.0 outside applied early in the week. They are still firing the tires with something aggressive, some are using our Monster Bite, others are on Krug. Personally, I'd be careful with how much aggressive PRW you use as the tires will get gummy (and slow down) especially if you need to run the same set all night. The Burris and Hoosier guys running harsh PRW preps are used to this whereas the Maxxis crowd can get away with it.

Max, were you happy with your White Maxxis? My take is that the Cobras are similar in how they work and prepping.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I'm not a fan of Cobras, but we've got a few customers who are actually running well with them using our Medium Rare internal (doesn't soften or break the sidewalls down) 2 ounces in the right sides and 1 ounce in the lefts, and several wipes of our Black Bite 2.0 outside applied early in the week. They are still firing the tires with something aggressive, some are using our Monster Bite, others are on Krug. Personally, I'd be careful with how much aggressive PRW you use as the tires will get gummy (and slow down) especially if you need to run the same set all night. The Burris and Hoosier guys running harsh PRW preps are used to this whereas the Maxxis crowd can get away with it.

Max, were you happy with your White Maxxis? My take is that the Cobras are similar in how they work and prepping.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
I liked the whites. I sold one set and I am saving another for a cooler damp track. I just never got to run them in ideal conditions. They do seem a bit heavier though than a pink and blue. I did win on the whites with Carlson Power!

I had good luck with mine… But …. They don’t like to do repeat performances and they soften really quick .. I did use Brian’s Pink Panther on a set 4 rs and 2 ls and just wiped orange at the track for features. Just go easy on the prep, cut what you would normally use in half as far as wipes go. They like air !

Last edited:
I had good luck with mine… But …. They don’t like to do repeat performances and they soften really quick .. I did use Brian’s Pink Panther on a set 4 rs and 2 ls and just wiped orange at the track for features. Just go easy on the prep l, cut what you would normally use in half as far as wipes go. They like air !
I run 4 and 5 usually for air with maxxis when it is more of a dry track to get some grip. Where should I start with Cobras? 5 and 6
Repeat performance? So the second time out they felt significantly slower?

Your 6 and 5 should be a good place to start and Yes they would not repeat from weekend to weekend… and I wasn’t wiping due to them softening so easy. Just scrubbing them good with blue tire wash.

Back