Cody Brightbill Accident and Recovery

rpatten

On Saturday evening, July 4, 11 year old Cody Brightbill was severely injured in a wing kart accident at ThunderHill Speedway in western Wisconsin. Cody was airlifted to St. Paul and has had 4 successful surgeries to repair the injuries to his arm, but has a long recovery ahead of him. Here is the original post from his Mom after the accident:

"After 2 1/2 hours of surgery Cody is finally in recovery. He initially lost a substantial amount of blood but remained stable throughout. The surgeon said he was very close to completely losing his arm and he's pretty sure it can be saved at this point. His break is located just above the right elbow. They had to remove a fair amount of muscle that was obliterated, there is a main nerve that is stretched beyond repair, he will need skin grafts to cover areas where skin was lost, they are concerned and will monitor blood supply to his hand, and he will permanently have limited function in both his hand and elbow. He will be here for at least a week and will have another 3-4 surgeries before going home. Unfortunately that won't be the end as reconstructive surgeries await him in the future. All of the thoughts and prayers are greatly appreciated. It's going to be a tough road to recovery......."

Cody's Mom, Andrea Brightbill can be found on Facebook and cards can be sent to Cody at the hospital, thought I'm not sure how much longer he will be there:

Gillette Children's Specialty Healthcare
200 University Ave. E
St. Paul, MN 55101
ATTENTION: Cody Brightbill/C4033

There is also a gofund.me site set-up if you can help. Please keep Cody and his family in your thoughts and prayers and reach out to them with some words of encouragement if you can.

http://www.gofundme.com/y3k895k

PM me if you aren't on Facebook and would like an email address for the family.

Back