coil gap please

foreverfaster

Site Supporter
what is the Hemi predator coil gap please. OEM
also, is there a link someplace to get all the torque specs??

Thanks

I’ve always used a business card. Take it and fold it in half and use it to set the gap for the coil. Always worked for me...

When I do my motors I have two wide zip ties one is .040 the other is .050 thick I use those to set it. Magnet can’t work through it and it let’s you line everything up and torque it down without fighting with it.

I’ve always used a business card. Take it and fold it in half and use it to set the gap for the coil. Always worked for me...
That's funny, someone told me this once, I've done it this way ever sense. i used 4 cards to set it, will bump it down to 2 cards... i do the same with my animals.. 2 cards puts my old business cards to good use.

See a few different theories..
For us .030 is as high as we will run the coil on oem flywheel and coil..
The coil can handle much more,, the problem is the OEM cast flywheels have a weak magnet compared to the rare earth magnets used on the after market flywheels... On the racing flywheels indeed .050-.060 is very common... Yeah you might need to YANK the rope a tic harder / faster to getter to fire off...

Somewhat the same thing applies in ignition timing, the higher the timing the stronger the ignition firing needs to be.. Running timing higher than 26-28 degrees with OEM cast flywheels should show a decrease in HP and Torque.. Change flywheels to the racing ones and that 26-28 is very low timing and needs to be advanced...

Many want to make some of things to be like Rocket science,, Common sense goes a long way guys...

See a few different theories..
For us .030 is as high as we will run the coil on oem flywheel and coil..
The coil can handle much more,, the problem is the OEM cast flywheels have a weak magnet compared to the rare earth magnets used on the after market flywheels... On the racing flywheels indeed .050-.060 is very common... Yeah you might need to YANK the rope a tic harder / faster to getter to fire off...

Somewhat the same thing applies in ignition timing, the higher the timing the stronger the ignition firing needs to be.. Running timing higher than 26-28 degrees with OEM cast flywheels should show a decrease in HP and Torque.. Change flywheels to the racing ones and that 26-28 is very low timing and needs to be advanced...

Many want to make some of things to be like Rocket science,, Common sense goes a long way guys...
Wow this is great info Jerry, thank you!

I assume running 36-38 degrees with a plate motor and the stock flywheel is not a good thing? Does it work if you keep the coil gap tight, say .025-.030"? Does the same apply to the clone engines or are the stock, cast flywheels/magnets better?

I was talking stock cast iron oem flywheels... In order to get to .036 timing with a cast flywheel you'd have to NOT run a key... And indeed you will do more harm than good.

Back