coil red

It was a particular batch of coils that was supplied on the 5HP motor , the epoxy was a red color, this batch was many years ago. They were very close to the maximum number for coil tec and so they were known to be a little hotter spark. They have been sought after ever since. No real great advantage but evidently their legend lives on. Jon

They also had a higher ohm resistance. If I remember correctly, they were manufactured in Mexico and used finer wire for the coil windings (thus the higher resistance.) Some, in particular had a higher voltage, and better yet, some did not retard as much at higher rpm. THESE were the desirable coils - not just all ones with red epoxy.
For years, engine builders added the magnetron pick-up module to the older points and condensor coils (WKA legal) for a "hot coil." We did this as well and continue to get calls for them to this day. Now, we hand pick coils for the flathead that are the higher ohm coils.

Typically if someone says they have a red coil - it simply means that the epoxy is red so it must be magically delicious. :)
If you need a "good" red coil, give us a call. I've always got a few on the shelf.

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

"For years, engine builders added the magnetron pick-up module to the older points and condensor coils (WKA legal) for a "hot coil." "

it's amazing what we would do sometimes for the Fhead

was reading this post and cought my att. i have a red coil but what i have gathered is the mounting holes do not line up with motor. is this fixable or do i have junk. just wandering.

We tested stock coils versus red coils on the dyno, more than one time............no difference in performance.

luckie - did you use the higher voltage coils and ones that retarded less (not simply red) and then make adjustments on the dyno to accommodate the hotter spark (ie more fuel, more plug gap, more coi lair gap, different ignition timing, etc.)?
I have found very different results on our dyno and would be glad to share them with you.

If you do nothing but swap coils out, it won't show any difference (unless you were already too rich on your air/fuel ratio to begin with.)

Where the hot coils have the most affect is right at peak torque (4000) which just happens to be where we all bring our clutches in. It certainly helps make the car accelerate better on starts and restarts where these engines typically stumble at part throttle.

Give us a call if we can help.

765-339-4407
Thanks,
Brian

We sell those coils for $40.00

Andy Keller
Keller Performance Center
765-827-5225
UPS Shipping daily
Visa MC Discover accepted

That's funny. Only coil you can buy now is red. Without modifying it some how though it will not work with a 3hp coil bracket. If the coils Brian has are new and they are the old style coil that is probably a fair price for his coils. The red coil used to be illegal in stock and controlled stock and limited. The rule changed. Red coils are legal now. If you buy a new $40 briggs coil all of them are red now. The old style coil has to be modified to work on a 3hp bracket. It can be done easily though. I am not saying you cant make the new ones work but I have not figured out how yet.

Back