Cold Weather Tire Pressure

My eight year old is running a winter series, and I am curious what adjustments to tire pressures I should be making (red plate clone champ kart on asphalt)? I had a pretty good grasp on what he liked through the spring and summer, but the last time he raced the temperature was in the 90's. Its supposed to be 45° on Saturday. I know buying tire warmers or a hot box would be best, but we are still in year one, learning as we go. I am just wondering if there is something I could try to get him a little more grip, especially since they are first out on the track for practice in the morning.

First of all, I do not know the answer to this, but we run on dirt in the winter and it can be quite cold. Tire warmers are an option (expensive) as well as (if you have an enclosed trailer) just keeping them warm when not racing. We also have a torch we sometimes use when we are sitting on the grid. In my mind the softer rubber opens the pores better and also helps prep work better, but I do realize asphalt series may not allow preps. Also, I wonder how long a warmer tire stays warm after hitting the track and making 4 or 5 laps under caution on a cold track before you see the green flag. Maybe Earl can shed some light on this. I guess you may only find out with a stopwatch after running a few laps at different pressures. I tend to think dropping air pressure a tad will help.

Air pressure is all relevant by the grip in the track. On dirt tracks usually ( not always as theres exceptions ) colder air means less grip therefore lower air.
Asphalt more depends on location when weather is concerned, so consider grip availability over air temps.

On pavement, typically higher air pressures build heat in the tires quicker. With that said, the track surface temps being that cold, you would benefit much more by getting/keeping heat in the tires. As Earl said, it's more about available grip than temperature.
Heating the tire alone will be of little to no value. If you can heat the tires AND wheels, they'll hold their temps a bit longer. If you just heat the tires, as said above, by the time you take the green all that temp is gone and will be of minimal help. Hot box works much better than tire warmers in this case where it's so cold out. If all you have at your exposal is a heat gun - be sure to heat the wheels too.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Probably about +1 lb, move 10 pounds right and +1 or 2 % cross. But much has to do with the track some tracks get really sticky in the heat and you may find your original numbers faster then ever. If you have entry problems, add camber. What type of track or what track? I assume you are on Vega?

My eight year old is running a winter series, and I am curious what adjustments to tire pressures I should be making (red plate clone champ kart on asphalt)? I had a pretty good grasp on what he liked through the spring and summer, but the last time he raced the temperature was in the 90's. Its supposed to be 45° on Saturday. I know buying tire warmers or a hot box would be best, but we are still in year one, learning as we go. I am just wondering if there is something I could try to get him a little more grip, especially since they are first out on the track for practice in the morning.
HoldensDad! Take an electric space heater with you. Put it in your truck bed cap, put space heater in and start it when you get to track, put the tires in there and keep it closed up. It will heat your tires up nicely like a hot box! Keep the space heater running all day and after practice and qualifying put tires in back of truck to heat them up and put on the kart just before going to grid. Unfortunately as soon as you drop the kart on the cold grid asphalt they will cool off. I did it last week and the tires and wheels got really warm, can't day it helped but we at least tried.

On pavement, typically higher air pressures build heat in the tires quicker. With that said, the track surface temps being that cold, you would benefit much more by getting/keeping heat in the tires. As Earl said, it's more about available grip than temperature.
Heating the tire alone will be of little to no value. If you can heat the tires AND wheels, they'll hold their temps a bit longer. If you just heat the tires, as said above, by the time you take the green all that temp is gone and will be of minimal help. Hot box works much better than tire warmers in this case where it's so cold out. If all you have at your exposal is a heat gun - be sure to heat the wheels too.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
That makes a ton of sense! Thank you!

HoldensDad! Take an electric space heater with you. Put it in your truck bed cap, put space heater in and start it when you get to track, put the tires in there and keep it closed up. It will heat your tires up nicely like a hot box! Keep the space heater running all day and after practice and qualifying put tires in back of truck to heat them up and put on the kart just before going to grid. Unfortunately as soon as you drop the kart on the cold grid asphalt they will cool off. I did it last week and the tires and wheels got really warm, can't day it helped but we at least tried.
I was wondering if I could find simple solutions I was not finding would work. That is perfect.

Applying heat to the tire, is not going to help unless the heat source is removed very close to putting the kart on the ground. Even then you will get little benefit except for a lap or two (qualifying!). In our area tracks made a rule that there could be no tire warmers or wrap when kart is on the grid, which means they have plenty of time to cool down.

I don't race asphalt, so I am not a good source of info, but I thought lower track temp meant more grip for you guys?
Some what true but it depends on what temps you are talking about. Certainly you have more grip at 75 then 100 but you have less at 45 then 75.

Back