Compression ratio increase

yalipito

How much power is gained by increasing CR from 9:1 to around 11:1? Just wondering since it gets mentioned quite a bit on this site.

I would think, all else equal, that something at 9HP at 9:1 would make 11HP at 11:1, but not sure it's that simple??

I do not have any other dyno than my butt in the seat and it says that compression is the quickest way to take a lame motor and make it a fun motor.... I love our open rule class just for this reason, you can play with your engine and make it more fun.

As you go from a stock compression to say 12-1 comp. is a nice jump about 1.5-3hp...depending on the build...
As you go higher than that in comp. you have a point of diminishing return... Say you go to 15-1 comp, you might only gain a 1/2hp... Again depending on the build and other components...

Compression is definitely going to add some power.
I cant really disagree with the above post. It is hard to answer even if we knew what other mods you have made. The people that post it is the holy grail of engine mods are uninformed. The intake port, when modified correctly will make more difference than compression ratio increases and its not even close.

Compression is definitely going to add some power.
I cant really disagree with the above post. It is hard to answer even if we knew what other mods you have made. The people that post it is the holy grail of engine mods are uninformed. The intake port, when modified correctly will make more difference than compression ratio increases and its not even close.

That is also a very GOOD point.
These heads really are bad with all there sharp edges and poor flow. Usually the port work is done at the same time I mill them and altogether it wakes up dramatically. With our open rules it becomes alot easier to play with things like that because you dont have to hide it or worry about the tech guy coming around.... Actually come to think of it, I dont think I have even milled a head for compression without doing some major porting (for myself).
I have however milled others (that wanted to push a weak rules system) and they liked it though.

Back