Compression

joe boom

What is a realistic compression ratio for a modded flatty .080 over ,arc billit head ,4.5 rod,eybrows cut ??? 9,10,11 to1 ??

Not much more then stock .
Screenshot_20190909-171245_Chrome.jpg

Did not realize this.I was thinking at least 10.1...so when running gas on a Flathead with most any cam or stroke there's never any need for anything above 87 octane? Thku.

Did not realize this.I was thinking at least 10.1...so when running gas on a Flathead with most any cam or stroke there's never any need for anything above 87 octane? Thku.

Absolutely correct.
In fact, we used to use stale gas back in the '80s before everyone (WKA & IKF) went to alcohol.

OP, as soon as you cut those eyebrows, and valve relieved the head for a bigger lift cam, you lost compression ratio.
You're likely around 6:1 now even with some pop-up and a flat-milled head. There are billet heads that will help some, but the majority of the loss is over the valves.

Keep this low CR (and coil retard) in mind when setting your ignition timing!

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Mine is .030 over with a 12:1 pop up piston and 2 lobes off a 292 Duntov cam welded to the Briggs gear! :ROFLMAO::LOL::p

in ga. we have this 85 octane at Sunoco...Runs like crap in mine...
Very interesting, why do you suppose that is? Do you change the jetting when you run the E85? I can only imagine, but I would think, just as a guess, you would need about 5 to 10 sizes bigger jet. Was this E85 fresh out of the pump? Alcohol can go bad if not properly stored.

Very interesting, why do you suppose that is? Do you change the jetting when you run the E85? I can only imagine, but I would think, just as a guess, you would need about 5 to 10 sizes bigger jet. Was this E85 fresh out of the pump? Alcohol can go bad if not properly stored.

I think he's referring to 85 octane, Al, NOT E85 (=85% ethanol.)

NO ITS NOT E85........ITS 85 OCTANE RECREATIONAL GAS.....

Back