computer problems

flattop1

Dawg 89
I really got it screwed up now.
I hope back up fixes it.
or a ten year old.
oh well Now half my favorites are gone and my excel still doesn't work.
Couple more trys then a professional or a complete wipe.

Yes I think it's back. I have a tendency to check or uncheck box's when it's running slow.
I try to resist , sometimes I don't .
Its 13 years old may be time too upgrade .
Thanks

I hear you.
I'm still on Windows Vista and hoping that it keeps chugging along.
Wife & kids have W10 and generally have more problems than my old dinosaur.

Brian Carlson

late to a old thread but make sure yall running windows 7 or earlier version update your system to avoid bluekeep vulnerability! if you need troubleshooting help hmu

IBM OS/2 still works great if your doing limited stuff. You also won't find hackers wasting their time on it. There are still national companies who use it for limited national off site use and even some national POS(point of sale) systems still use it even though the desktop the user sees doesn't look anything like windows. If your just going to surf the web and use a few math and word processor programs it would work well for you.

OS/2 is what IBM got out of working with Gates developing the original desk top. Gates took the little he did plus what IBM created and ran with it on his own. The rest was competition between the two and poor marketing by IBM and most likely it resulted in IBM having a major interest stock wise in Microsoft. ... or maybe Gates got paid for his work with IBM stock???? Over the years in my humble knowledge the three who handled IBM the best by out business dealing IBM were Microsoft, Dell and Red Commie China.

Though world wide IBM at a point went to Windows with everyone else for dealing with the world, still today their critical inter company system for those in power is OS/2 based. If Hillary would have been on the same system she might be president now. Sorry Bob if this input gets your system looked at. ... :) nawwwwww ...?????????????? Here's a question for you Bob. What country do you think is most likely to get keyed in on this post and look at you? U.S., Russia, Commie Red China, G.B., one in the Middle East or maybe even Switzerland? I use to play cards with Russians 20+years ago when the cold war was going strong on AOL. They had a land/sea line between Russia and here and then got on AOL to play cards and deal in commodities(sell stuff like titanium, aircraft parts, etc..

Last edited:
used to be windows was a gui shell in dos, somewhere along the line (i forget exactly when and havent remotely had enuf coffee) they switched it to windows being main and dos being a shell that runs inside it

Funny, I thought DOS was the operating system, windows is just a program.
Funny Paul no mention of apple

lol, I'm also or was at one time factory Apple trained. Spent three weeks in Apple school on software. IBM had won a national service account and we had one local unit of Apple stuff. I never turned down any school and was the only Apple trained service person in our area, The real funny thing about it is I went and met the local Apple customer who previously did all their own service and software and continued to keep doing it. Never had one service call on any of their products or software. Apples training was pretty much only to learn how to make a dos diskette to get online to get a new software load for what ever you were working on. Never took one service call yet factory trained. Nortel was another company who I trained on, got a free cell phone for years from and never had to take a service call at a Nortel location. Used the training on other Nortel network customers of ours but never a real Nortel service call. You mentioned DOS. My initial A+ testing required by many customers was mainly on DOS which was then current. ... :) DOS, OS/2, Linux(and most all it's variations), Unix, AIX, Nortel, Bell, Cisco, Netapp, HP, Dell, Motorola, Compaq, Colbol, Fortran, Unisis, Reuters, Novell and on and on all at one time factory trained.

used to be windows was a gui shell in dos, somewhere along the line (i forget exactly when and havent remotely had enuf coffee) they switched it to windows being main and dos being a shell that runs inside it

Now a days the only thing you have to know is the best phone number to the correct help desk and even better when you get to the right correct help desk to have the name of someone who really knows their stuff. ... :)

Over the years IBM and most big nationalls layed off all of their best field personnel keeping the mediocre and lower paid techs. Me being mediocre and only average or below in pay lasted the longest. ... :)

The only thing lots and lots of training does for you is make you good at taking tests.

lol, I'm also or was at one time factory Apple trained. Spent three weeks in Apple school on software. IBM had won a national service account and we had one local unit of Apple stuff. I never turned down any school and was the only Apple trained service person in our area, The real funny thing about it is I went and met the local Apple customer who previously did all their own service and software and continued to keep doing it. Never had one service call on any of their products or software. Apples training was pretty much only to learn how to make a dos diskette to get online to get a new software load for what ever you were working on. Never took one service call yet factory trained. Nortel was another company who I trained on, got a free cell phone for years from and never had to take a service call at a Nortel location. Used the training on other Nortel network customers of ours but never a real Nortel service call. You mentioned DOS. My initial A+ testing required by many customers was mainly on DOS which was then current. ... :) DOS, OS/2, Linux(and most all it's variations), Unix, AIX, Nortel, Bell, Cisco, Netapp, HP, Dell, Motorola, Compaq, Colbol, Fortran, Unisis, Reuters, Novell and on and on all at one time factory trained.
Yeah I was taught binary, hex, and octal, was using zenith 151s running pc dos

Back