Computer security advice

Chipg56

I broke the screen on my good laptop and need to send it out. Any advice on what I need to delete before it goes? I completely deleted my Firefox and I know that google saves passwords. Any thing else I need to do?

Yes its recomended to pull the hard drive. I've heard also drill a hole through it as alternative .
Either way you still have data on it depending on how sensitive the data is and your disposal method .

A screen's not usually that hard to change or that expensive

... but just depends

send it out to get fixed or to get a new one?

easiest is pull the hard drive out and send it to be fixed without one
who ever is fixing it should have one they can stick in to see if the screen works even if it's just cabled in

actually you shouldn't even need a hard drive to see if the screen is going to light up because it could be brought up into it's bio's

Last edited:
I was thinking I would pull the HD but was told not to by the warranty people. Not going to buy a new one as this is only 6months old and under full warranty, including accidents. Maybe Ill pull it anyway a see what happens.

I was thinking I would pull the HD but was told not to by the warranty people. Not going to buy a new one as this is only 6months old and under full warranty, including accidents. Maybe Ill pull it anyway a see what happens.

Hard drives are cheap. Buy one just like it has in it and send it to them.
LOL, they will probably put a new factory load of software on it and send it back to you. ... :)

Back