Considering going to super heavy

Ryan B

I'm still getting back into karting and I primarily run at my hometown track which we love. Word is getting out and the track is growing in popularity which is great however my current class has grown a lot (stock heavy). I understand I should cherish the deep bench of competition however, I'm considering going up to super heavy which is about half the size.

I meet the driver weight requirement being over 200 (202), my current total run weight is 390 and I need to be 425.

What are y'all thoughts on me possibly adding 35 or more pounds to my set up? I've heard of racers adding 5 or 10 and pulling weight but I haven't heard of an increase like I am considering.

Thank you.

Ryan

You could do it, I know a lot of the little guys put sheets of lead in their seats, weight pucks everywhere etc. I think I would stay with heavy since you are already adding weight.

Several yrs. back we had to add almost 80 lbs to my kart to run a race that you had to weigh 375 or more at the time I was late in my 40's 5 ft 10 140 lbs. Started 15th finished 3rd on the bumper of 2nd who was on the bumper of 1st. It went non stop start to finish. Now this was a road course race but as long as the weight is added securely & you can get your %'s right it can be done.

You'll honestly find yourself more consistently competitive having more weight added to your kart at a lower VCG than where your VCG is running heavy at 390. In theory you will be doing yourself some good by moving up. It will allow you to better scale out your kart and be more tailored to your height/weight rather than trying to compete with someone who is 150 with a pile of lead on to make 390.

I would run both , and see which one I like better . I run Super Heavy most of the time with no weight ( 408 ) and Sumo by just adding a little weight and have fun , which is what I am more about . I win some and I lose some , but its about the fun , the people and the thrill of racing !
I have ran in some medium class and heavy class races before , and surprisingly did better than I expected .

run both, sheet lead in the seat for the extra weight needed and take it out to run the other class
have fun an good luck

You will also have an advantage of being able to meet the bare minimum weight requirement. I know some guys around here who run 425lb class weigh around 460ish because there isn't a heavier class and find it hard to compete with the guys who just meet the 425.

You will also have an advantage of being able to meet the bare minimum weight requirement. I know some guys around here who run 425lb class weigh around 460ish because there isn't a heavier class and find it hard to compete with the guys who just meet the 425.
I have run the 350 class weighing 420 and had zero issues with competitiveness. Being overweight just makes moving guys that much easier.

Back