Continuation discussion of timing gauge.

DynoDon

Like I said earlier, the tool is designed to check the timing through the spark plug hole without the degree wheel if you know where the coil fires on the flywheel. Nothing new, two cycle used to do it all the time. If I have a problem on the Dyno or at the track it is Handy to let me know if I have a timing problem or not. To the poster who said nothing more accurate than a timing light. I think I know that and so do all the other readers however using a light at the track is time consuming and this is a Time saver. Screw the insert in the sparkplug hole, set the dial indicator in the insert. Roll the engine to tdc compression stroke. Set dial indicator to "o". Remove air shroud. Roll the flywheel to where you know the firing point is ( most generally right coil leg lines up with slot in flywheel.). I always mark my engines when I build them. Count how many thousands the dial indicator travels to your match marks. Cross reference to the chart I designed and you have your timing. I will call the company to find the cost of the pieces I need and let everyone know the cost of the tool if anyone wants to purchase one.

Don I am the one that said a timing light and a degrees wheel is the most accurate.
But what you are selling looks very good . Especially if you don't have a degree wheel and timing light.
You just might help a lot of people with this one.
Timing is real simple, If you know what you are doing. Don's tool looks like it will simplify it for anyone.
Ok DYNO Don., Now that I have put a plug in for you. Where is my check. ??????
Just kidding. I prefer cash.
Good luck

I did not realize how well this was going to take off. I sold the first batch. I am ordering more parts. Those who want one send me a pm here on Bob's and I will get with you. Thanks Don

Screw the insert in the sparkplug hole, set the dial indicator in the insert. Roll the engine to tdc compression stroke. Set dial indicator to "o". Remove air shroud.

Instead of a dial indicator couldn't you just screw in something with a long hole in in to accept and hold straight a plastic, wood or metal dowel and measure with a rule how far down or up the dowel goes between tdc and where your timing spark indicator is on the flywheel? I can see even busting the center out of a spark plug and forcing a tube into the hole to accommodate a dowel. Isn't all you need to know is the distance the piston is down when your spark indicator lines up and maybe a chart which tells you piston travel distance per degree?

ain't sure just thinking about your good idea in my own cheap low budget way ... :)

Back