Control RPMs on Predator with no governor?

OMB Warehouse throttle linkage kit on a stock predator with no governor or oil sensor. How can I control RPM so I'm not floating the valves? Would like to keep it around 5400rpm not more than that. Advice? I've been getting to research ways to do this.

My kart has never turned 5k on track. I don't know if this is universal but unless you have some aftermarket parts I doubt you would have any issues of the engine tearing itself up under load. My gearing has been 19/53-60.

My kart has never turned 5k on track. I don't know if this is universal but unless you have some aftermarket parts I doubt you would have any issues of the engine tearing itself up under load. My gearing has been 19/53-60.

My thoughts that maybe the tach is bad might be true then. It bounces around from 6200-4200 by doing almost nothing. Cheap 20.00 one from Amazon. Had it for a few years.

No aftermarket parts on it anywhere

How big is your track?

1/6th oval. I can catch the karts in front of me coming out of turn 2 down the back stretch but entering turn 3/4 and exiting they run away from me. I seem to get a little squirley in Turn 4.

@Mac_49 Unsure what you mean. This is a stock predator Hemi-engine straight from Habor Freight the only mods are removing the governor and oil sensor and replacing the throttle kit with one from OMB Warehouse.

@Mac_49 Unsure what you mean. This is a stock predator Hemi-engine straight from Habor Freight the only mods are removing the governor and oil sensor and replacing the throttle kit with one from OMB Warehouse.
Are you running an open type of class or are the only mods you can do legally are remove governor and oil sensor?
If open-based.....you can get a PVL flywheel and run the briggs coils that have built in limiters with different rpm limits.

Are you running an open type of class or are the only mods you can do legally are remove governor and oil sensor?
If open-based.....you can get a PVL flywheel and run the briggs coils that have built in limiters with different rpm limits.

Oh I see what you mean. Must be factory Air filter and sock. Factory gas tank and Carburetor,

Cylinder head: Must be OEM Predator type casing only. Stock valves only. Must use stock pushrods, rocker arms, retainers, and valve springs. Camshaft must remain stock. Crank rod and piston must be factory without any modifications. Stock head gasket.

You can see my options are limited here.

My thoughts that maybe the tach is bad might be true then. It bounces around from 6200-4200 by doing almost nothing. Cheap 20.00 one from Amazon. Had it for a few years.

No aftermarket parts on it anywhere
There is no way that the motor will turn 6200. I would assume your tach is off.

Those cheap tachs.... I have it wrapped around spark plug 5 times, sound about right for good set-up?
If the wraps are tight together.

If they are spread, you can get echo, or ghost readings.

On a briggs coil, 3 or 4 wraps are sufficient.

Clone, ??????

I don’t think I’d be trying to run a stock predator on a 1/6 mile track on a 13 driver. That’s just me… but I’d be on a minimum of a 15 and whatever rear gets me to that 5200 mark your searching for.

Those tachs are slow to respond to rpm changes and your best bet is to gear the kart correctly, Most of us try to be around 4900 at the end of the straights.

Back