Converting a Kart from an adult to a kid set up.

cjm3535

We have just obtained a 2008 Birel kart, I want to switch it over from an adult set up to something for my son who is 8. Can anyone give me some advice on pedal extensions, seats, lowering the steering wheel or other things that I am not thinking about?

Thank you so much for your help

I recently did the same thing, the mounting block for the steering wheel can be flipping to lower the wheel enough to see. But i find there is not enough room to get her leg between the steering wheel and the seat when climbing in and out of the kart.. If i was keeping this kart long term i would do a detachable steering wheel.

I recently did the same thing, the mounting block for the steering wheel can be flipping to lower the wheel enough to see. But i find there is not enough room to get her leg between the steering wheel and the seat when climbing in and out of the kart.. If i was keeping this kart long term i would do a detachable steering wheel.
A detachable steering wheel in a sprint kart is an awful idea.

If the steering wheel comes off, the steering shaft becomes a harpoon.

A detachable steering wheel in a sprint kart is an awful idea.

If the steering wheel comes off, the steering shaft becomes a harpoon.
And I have had the steering wheel come off (champ kart)! Its an awful feeling when it happens entering the turn. There is only two things you can do. Scream and slam on the breaks. I did both.

Pretty sure a quick disconnect wheel is illegal in an open kart.
A wheel isn't supposed to be that low, it traps the driver in the kart in a roll over.

Back