Converting adult AKRA to green plate

And at the end of the day its the tires that make the magic happen not just the engines.
Oh ya! I forgot! prep costs and grinding machines, or paid cutting!! 😉. Yes, I agree, tires and prep these days. But all else equal, $1200 kid kart engine wins. Crazy!!!!!!

Pulling my old clone out of hibernation, I have quickly learned, UNFORTUNATELY, that the COST of doing business as a CUSTOMER, to merely go kid kart racing (red or green plate) is astronomical,

Unless ya’ll get this sport more simplified and cheaper it is gonna die. Too many options, too much cost. Business is slowly closing, just in case ya’ll haven’t noticed.

Just my 2 cents. Maybe 3.

You shoulda been around for the Comer C50/C51 days. Where you spent $1200 for a stock 50cc weedwacker engine, that after you outgrew the Kid Kart Class it was useless. Talk about a barrier to entry. The clone platform is by far superior. You can buy an engine, and that investment can run from red to green to purple to blue to unrestricted adult. The clone engine platform offers a lifetime of racing through multiple classes.

Not trying to be a jerk, but if you really are pinching pennies perhaps racing isn't for you. There is the 'ol addage in racing " you know how to make a million dollars racing? You spend 2 million."

If you show up with a 15 yr old chassis, an engine you pulled "out of hibernation", and a set of 5 yr old tires you got from a buddy, you simply aren't going to do well against someone who is well funded, and has everything fresh and new. Is that the fault of the industry? Or rather, the nature of competition?

IMO The problem with racing and the cost is the fault of the racer who cannot leave well enough alone. Jump over the to Predator thread and watch how that is evolving. That was supposed to be a buy it at Harbor Freight and race it.

I honestly think you need to scale your spending/equipment to the tracks and series you race. Especially when it comes to kids. We just started my 10 year old son in karting last year. I bought a nice but old 2006 Prowler chassis that was race ready for $900. We went to local level tracks with not very steep competition and got him seat time. During this first year, he has won 9 races, finished 2nd in track championship points for Jr2 (out of 12+ karts) and my total bill for the season did not exceed $2500. We race out of the back of my truck, we have 2 sets of tires and I build my own engines so yes that ultimately helps keep the budget low but my point is, you can be competitive and on a budget. Heck, we borrowed a set of Maxxis and went to a 'big boys" track with some of the best state racers in Florida and finished 2nd by a nose in the money. It doesn't have to be all about the money, yes it helps but you can race and have a good time with your kids for a relatively decent budget!

You shoulda been around for the Comer C50/C51 days. Where you spent $1200 for a stock 50cc weedwacker engine, that after you outgrew the Kid Kart Class it was useless. Talk about a barrier to entry. The clone platform is by far superior. You can buy an engine, and that investment can run from red to green to purple to blue to unrestricted adult. The clone engine platform offers a lifetime of racing through multiple classes.

Not trying to be a jerk, but if you really are pinching pennies perhaps racing isn't for you. There is the 'ol addage in racing " you know how to make a million dollars racing? You spend 2 million."

If you show up with a 15 yr old chassis, an engine you pulled "out of hibernation", and a set of 5 yr old tires you got from a buddy, you simply aren't going to do well against someone who is well funded, and has everything fresh and new. Is that the fault of the industry? Or rather, the nature of competition?

IMO The problem with racing and the cost is the fault of the racer who cannot leave well enough alone. Jump over the to Predator thread and watch how that is evolving. That was supposed to be a buy it at Harbor Freight and race it.
Actually I am just getting a 5 yr old into an entry class to see if the desire and passion is there for her. I COULD buy top of the like everything. It is not my pocket book I was referring to. It is the pocket book of all the OTHER COULD BE RACERS. But if we really want long term economical, we should be using the lo206 versus clone and jr lo206.

"the lo206 versus clone and jr lo206. " why is the jr LO206 not economical, that engine moves from class to class with a coil and carb slide, if that is not the cheapest class change out there what is?

"the lo206 versus clone and jr lo206. " why is the jr LO206 not economical, that engine moves from class to class with a coil and carb slide, if that is not the cheapest class change out there what is?
Oh, actually I agree with you. I probably could have written it better. Lo206 and jr lo206 long term cheaper than clone. I agree.

Back