coolant/rad fluid?

Hobby87

shopping around for coolant for my 250, most places sell motorcycle spec fluid for $20-$25/gal, is it a must or can you get away with a cheaper option?

-Matt

Is it orange or green? I always ran a 50/50 mix prestone antifreeze in mine. Same thing in our water cooled kart engines.

Frankie

It's red (pink), I have only used a Redline product that comes 50/50 mix for $25/gal as that is all my local shop had available.

I really like Liquid Performance brand Orange racing coolant. Mix that with water wetter, and you're golden.

i actually run water in my radiator because if you crack the head gasket or antifreeze gets into the cylinder it will crystallize on the nikasil plating on the cylinder walls and you dont want to hone the nikasil plating. odds are you would have to have your cylinder replated. this is just what i do not trying to tell you what to do.

I would not reccomend Redline Water Wetter in anything. Especially in a kart motor. All the motor that we dissemble at PBIR that use Water Wetter have the water jackets coated with crystallization. Many of them with the water jackets completely clogged with crystals. It is probabily the biggest heat related engine failures problem that we see.

VP Cool Down is the only way to go. It will not crystal at all or harm any metal. The water jackets look like the day that were assembled and it does what it is designed to do. It reduces coolant surface tension.

So the short version is,,, as the water on the surface of the metal inside the water jacket starts to boil, tiny bubbles will start to form on the metal surface. The bubbles will not allow the water to touch the metal which will cause the surface temp of the metal to rise. These products will not allow the bubbles to form on the surface, which will allow the water to touch more surface area cooling the engine more efficiently.

The Water Wetter will crystallize on the metal and not allow any water to touch the metal. It might only be a little or it might a lot. Depending on your mixture, but it will crystallize every time.

The biggest problem I see with thest products is, people think that if a little works good than a lot should work better. That is not the case. These products do not cool as good as water they just relieve the coolant surface tension. They don't cool the engine. You must follow the reccomended mixture from the manufacture. More product and less water is not better.

Last edited:
it's not water wetter, its redline motorcycle specific coolant. where do you buy VP cool down?

Thanks, matt

Back