Cooling shroud painting

Tomcat

My engine cooling shroud has some nicks and dings in it and is down to bare metal in spots. I'd like to repaint it, but the rules are a little conflicting.
I would like to paint the cover gray to match the kart body work. In one sentence it says it should "remain stock as painted from the factory", but in the next sentence it says it "may be painted any color".

Maybe my question should be: How do I paint it any color and keep it stock as painted from the factory?

6. Cooling Shrouds, Covers and Blower Housings All pieces of the engine cooling shroud/blower housing and control panel must be stock B&S and properly installed. Rewind housing and cooling shroud (air guard) must remain stock as painted from the factory. Engine Shroud may be painted any color. Any bolt, with the exception of the head bolt, that is used to secure sheet metal shrouds and covers may be replaced with larger diameter bolts. No taping, covering, or restricting of air to the rewind shroud is permitted.

You can paint the orange shroud. You cannot paint the starter recoil. There was some clarification on this on the 206 site. The idea behind not painting the recoil was that the openings could be made smaller with paint or coating.

^ Exactly right. Guys were layering coat after coat of paint to reduce the size of the air vents in the starter recoil.
Yes, you can personalize your 206! (well, at least the blower housing) :)

The wording was cleaned up to this version. (It could use some further clarification.) "Cooling shrouds, Covers, and Blower Housings..." Yet these items are not clearly defined in the rule itself. In fact, blower housing (that orange part that covers the flywheel) is not even mentioned by that name again. The blower housing is referred to as the engine shroud two sentences later. The cooling shroud (air guard) is actually the piece of sheet metal that bolts on the side and goes over the top of the head (spark plug area). It is currently black. This part may NOT be painted.

At least that's the way I interpret it. :)

Yep, it's a bit confusing.
The big thing is to stop guys from cutting/modifying the air guard and plugging the holes in the starter rewind - that's what was going on and had to be addressed.

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Sorry to revive an older thread, figured it would help others searching in the future.

Must the Briggs logo, Emissions sticker, Serial number sticker stay in place? Is there a way to obtain replacements? Id like to perform the same task just want to make sure I dont invite a bunch of headaches at my first race.

Sorry to revive an older thread, figured it would help others searching in the future.

Must the Briggs logo, Emissions sticker, Serial number sticker stay in place? Is there a way to obtain replacements? Id like to perform the same task just want to make sure I dont invite a bunch of headaches at my first race.

Stickers may be removed.
You may want to leave the serial number simply for tracking the engine, if there were ever to be an issue with it in the future. A serial number/bar code decal is not a tech requirement for the older date code engines, however, the serial number on the front of the block MUST be present.

Last edited:
Back