Corner Exit Speed

. If you can for instance go up say 1 tooth on the driver and 2 on the rear gear it will help your momentum.
Depending on the gear ratio of course, I'm thinking about 4 to 1, you're suggesting changing the gear ratio by 6 teeth? Why not just subtract 2 teeth from the axle?

Last edited:
Depending on the gear ratio of course, I'm thinking about 4 to 1, you're suggesting changing the gear ratio by 6 teeth? Why not just subtract 2 teeth from the axle?
What he's saying is by going to bigger driver it's more momentum and possibly could be the answer, might wanta rethink the gear change he's not suggesting changing ratio by 6 teeth.

What he's saying is by going to bigger driver it's more momentum and possibly could be the answer, might wanta rethink the gear change he's not suggesting changing ratio by 6 teeth.
One on the engine equals 4 on the axle, approximately. 2 on the axle. Sorry if I was confusing.

End result was not 6 tooth change in ratio.
Depends on how you look at. I didn't say 6 teeth lower, or 6 teeth higher, I said 6 tooth change in ratio. If we start with a 4 to 1, and follow his instructions, we end up with a 3.88 to 1 ratio. Take 2 off the axle, only, and we end up with a 3.87 to 1.

Depends on how you look at. I didn't say 6 teeth lower, or 6 teeth higher, I said 6 tooth change in ratio. If we start with a 4 to 1, and follow his instructions, we end up with a 3.88 to 1 ratio. Take 2 off the axle, only, and we end up with a 3.87 to 1.
You implied by making the changes he suggested he ended up changing the ratio by 6 teeth, I'm telling you he didn't, end result was a 2 tooth change in ratio. Someone takes 4 steps back 2 steps forward eventhough they took 6 steps, end result is 2 step difference.

Last edited:
No matter where you go.....the bar, work, the family reunion, New Year’s Eve party, etc.......
There’s always one butthead......Al, you are ours !!!!!!

I contend a one tooth rear sprocket change at a time is adequate. The best a kart can handle is the point it can pull the most gear. The most gear, the most speed, the best times. All the talk on earth can't substitute the results of the gear change at the track.

DK

If the op front driver size was not maxed out with having 200 or less drops, Mike's suggestion on gear change would of been the ticket.

I was wondering what are some ways to find more corner exit speed. We raced Saturday night and there was a kart that was like a rocket coming out of the corners. My son ended up winning the race barely but only because the other kart came out of 4 a little too low and then had to adjust his line going into 1 which slowed him down overall. From what we know they had a little more internal rolled in their tires and we used the same prep except they made a 50/50 mixture with black sand to use at the track. From what they told us it was also the same gear and very close air. We thought maybe our son's kart was too tight or too much grip in the tires but his drops were 200 or less and he didn't look locked down.
If I missed it Sorry, but curious now what gearing combo were you on ? And do you know the track size ?

No matter where you go.....the bar, work, the family reunion, New Year’s Eve party, etc.......
There’s always one butthead......Al, you are ours !!!!!!

That's funny. I often say and observe that no matter where I go there's always some clown around. ... :)

Back