Corner weight scales.

alvin l nunley

Site Supporter
So this person saw my corner weights and percentages software and he asked me about scales. I found these. I like them because they run on AC/DC so you won't run out of batteries. They also have a whole feature so the numbers don't go away when you're not looking. What do you think?

360 pound capacity. 4 scales equals $400.

Attachments

• kart scale.jpg
    kart scale.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 37
Oh, I see. I thought the set of 4 only had a 360lb capacity. It’s 360 each? If that’s the case it wouldn’t be a bad deal. However, for a few 100 more you can get a used set of scales that do all the math for you. Still not bad for low budget though.

quite a few years back now I bought 4 postal scales for around$65 each with digital readout and battery.
Only problem is they kept getting crazy on me constantly giving me a hard time.
I had to unplug them fearing the way they were acting I might get hurt by them.

Nothing else to do, so I came up with this. Big sheet of plywood, 1 1/4 thick. I would put a power strip in the middle so I can Plug in all 4 scales. With a little labor and unnder $600 you ccan have a pretty nice corner weight set up.

Attachments

• weight stand with scales.jpg
    weight stand with scales.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 8
Oh, I see. I thought the set of 4 only had a 360lb capacity. It’s 360 each? If that’s the case it wouldn’t be a bad deal. However, for a few 100 more you can get a used set of scales that do all the math for you. Still not bad for low budget though.
That's the thing, it's going to come with my software. Just enter the 4 corner weights and everything is right there. Total, front, left, cross and everything in between. Even bite. And with my software you can play around with the percentages to seee what happens to the corner weights and everything else.

I have scales pretty similar from Amazon. I opted for the max 200lb versions tho. I figure they are probably more accurate since they have a smaller range. I also paid attention to the advertised shipping weight and bought the heaviest ones because I have to assume they are built better. I have no complaints... I run them on batteries and as long as you don't mess around getting the kart on the scales and then getting in the kart they are fine. They don't shut off as long as the weight is varying a little bit.

I made my own scales with an arduino, small load cells, and aluminum plates. Had my brother 3d print a box to hold the arduino and a small display screen. All in all I spent less than $200. The scales themselves are pretty crude, but accurate. If I were to do it again, I'd get some cheap digital bathroom scales and adapt those instead of making my own plates.

Attachments

• IMG_20200622_160035_exported_585_1620178684093.jpg
    IMG_20200622_160035_exported_585_1620178684093.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 17
So this person saw my corner weights and percentages software and he asked me about scales. I found these. I like them because they run on AC/DC so you won't run out of batteries. They also have a whole feature so the numbers don't go away when you're not looking. What do you think?

360 pound capacity. 4 scales equals $400.
And just how accurate and to within what per cent is the accuracy? Thats the important info.

That's the thing, it's going to come with my software. Just enter the 4 corner weights and everything is right there. Total, front, left, cross and everything in between. Even bite. And with my software you can play around with the percentages to seee what happens to the corner weights and everything else.
Alvin,
What do you mean by “even bite”? What do you mean by bite as it pertains to weight?

PS I sent you an email regarding your stagger spread sheet earlier this week.

bought a used set of Quantums for 500.00 full read outs, didnt need them, they taught that math in Elementary school.

Alvin,
What do you mean by “even bite”? What do you mean by bite as it pertains to weight?

PS I sent you an email regarding your stagger spread sheet earlier this week.
That stagger chart will have you way off most places

bought a used set of Quantums for 500.00 full read outs, didnt need them, they taught that math in Elementary school.

Still, I'm wondering, without the scales, what what good is the math?
Thing is, With spreadsheets, give me the total weight, Cross, left and front and and in the time it takes to enter them into the spreadsheet, I'll give you the weight on all 4 corners. Want to add 1% to the cross, as soon as you enter the number, the 4 corner Calculatiions change.

That stagger chart will have you way off most places
So you think we should go opposite? 😳🤔

Actually I’ve already looked at it. Fundamentally it’s very close to what we were targeting for a sweeping 90’ radius turn.

So you think we should go opposite? 😳🤔

Actually I’ve already looked at it. Fundamentally it’s very close to what we were targeting for a sweeping 90’ radius turn.
Oh God, my guess is you go larger on stagger than what your figuring.
You can't figure both corners are the same, nor can you say you'll take the same line every time.
You follow that path and you end up following the pack.
Math uses a circle, our tires are no where near a perfect circle while being raced, ask the track owner the starting point for stagger, they always know, and don't care to share

Last edited:
Oh God, my guess is you go larger on stagger than what your figuring.
You can't figure both corners are the same, nor can you say you'll take the same line every time.
You follow that path and you end up following the pack.
Math uses a circle, our tires are no where near a perfect circle while being raced, ask the track owner the starting point for stagger, they always know, and don't care to share
Do you always look this stupid by making comments with out asking questions? You don’t have any idea what wanting to ask or how I’m going to use it.

Do you always look this stupid by making comments with out asking questions? You don’t have any idea what wanting to ask or how I’m going to use it.
It's a chart based on math to guess at stagger?
Key word is guess, there are too many unknown variables ,it will always leave you on the wrong side of optimum stagger.
I don't have to ask questions, I'm saying anything you do with the spreadsheet is a waste of time.
Our feature wins and factory sponsorship is our proof, where's yours?

If you're trying to pick a word fight, XXX will probably be happy to oblige you.

If you drive your corners perfectly symmetrically with the apex always at the center of the corner, then the math stagger chart might work ok.
But if you (and you will) find that you wait just a bit on corner entry, and use a later apex to make the straightaway as long as possible, then the math chart more than likely won't work.
Slower in and fast off will normally beat fast in and slow off, every time.

Back