Cornering/tire wear question

Fairly new to Karting but got a half season in last year. We're running on a banked small asphalt track (Claremont, NH) And We've got pretty good track times but I've noticed the kart always squeels tires slightly around corners and the inner RF tire is wearing pretty hard on the inside. My inclination is to increase toe-in on the right. It's currently 1/8" out on the rt. We don't get lots of practice time so I'd like your opinions if possible.

What exactly has lead you to the conclusion that this will help, and that there is even a problem?

If it's very significant wear, wear means the tire is heating beyond it's useful range. So I'm just curious why you feel this is the correct action if there is even an action required.

What are your times compared to others, is the kart producing good speed compared to everyone else?

What exactly has lead you to the conclusion that this will help, and that there is even a problem?

If it's very significant wear, wear means the tire is heating beyond it's useful range. So I'm just curious why you feel this is the correct action if there is even an action required.

What are your times compared to others, is the kart producing good speed compared to everyone else?
Based on the fact that I don't hear anyone elses Kart squeeling around corners. I don't know any of the others actual times because they're not posted. We have placed third in the last race but the two leaders are significantly faster than the rest of the pack of about 8 karts. If this were an automobile, which I'm much more familiar with...I would think the tire were toeing out too much based on the feathering of the tire going from the inside of the tire outward. I'm trying to learn....

Last edited:
We have run there a couple times. What class do you run there? About the camber, you would run quite a but there. 5* negative +/-. If the kart is tight or pushing you may want to run a bit more stagger, lower left rear air pressure, move some weight around. Impossible to say really without the big picture. I can give a recommendation on scale numbers if you share which class.
Also, and perhaps most importantly, how long do you run tires. I would use one set of right sides every race day. Last race feature tires in practice and heat and new or scuffs for feature.

And it's normal on asphalt to wear the insides of the right tires, front and rear. I flip them once, usually run one feature on them, flip them and use them up.

We have run there a couple times. What class do you run there? About the camber, you would run quite a but there. 5* negative +/-. If the kart is tight or pushing you may want to run a bit more stagger, lower left rear air pressure, move some weight around. Impossible to say really without the big picture. I can give a recommendation on scale numbers if you share which class.
Also, and perhaps most importantly, how long do you run tires. I would use one set of right sides every race day. Last race feature tires in practice and heat and new or scuffs for feature.
We're in Sportsman B. I'm definitely over using my tires, better order some.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply

Usually, (not always) if you're hurting the inside shoulder of the RF tire, the car is too tight, ie steering input to the left is required too much and puts all the weight on the inside shoulder (thus producing localized heat.) This is especially evident on pavement tracks where you tend to run high negative RF camber and the tire doesn't have sufficient time to cool even during the straights.
Increase rear stagger, then consider reducing negative camber on the RF (only if needed.)

Flipping tires and keeping fresh tires on the car are always helpful.
Having the tires cut and internally rolled with a conditioner will help the tire last longer through multiple heat cycles and still keep some speed.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

i would set my camber to 1/4 left front 2.50 right front run 0 toe and center your ackerman see what happens

In Sportsman B you can probably double the life of your tires over what I stated above. Run them one race day, flip them and run them one more race day.
You should see the same or a little more wear on the rear tire. If the front is wearing more you definitely need to get the kart to turn better.
Sportsman b at Claremont I would start at 58% left, 46% nose. Cross is really on your specific chassis but with ours I would be 54%.
I would try 1 3/4" stagger rear and 1 1/2" front
Does the kart get better or worse as the race goes on?

In Sportsman B you can probably double the life of your tires over what I stated above. Run them one race day, flip them and run them one more race day.
You should see the same or a little more wear on the rear tire. If the front is wearing more you definitely need to get the kart to turn better.
Sportsman b at Claremont I would start at 58% left, 46% nose. Cross is really on your specific chassis but with ours I would be 54%.
I would try 1 3/4" stagger rear and 1 1/2" front
Does the kart get better or worse as the race goes on?
kart gets better as the race goes on. Our stagger is 1 3/4" F and R. 46% front, 56% left, 59% cross.

Last edited:
Those numbers look pretty good. Try new tires and see how it is. If still off I would try moving some weight around. Move the seat right a half inch and try it. If you don't like it put it back and try moving weight forward. 1% will make a difference. Lower cross and try it. Maybe trying different things will get you guys to experience what the changes do and eventually your driver will have input too.
When you make changes you almost have to use for a whole race day to work it out. Practice is so short you won't know what the end of the feature will be like. If it's obviously junk then abandon mission right away. You get the idea. Sometimes you have to sacrifice a 3rd place kart to work your way into a winning kart.

Back