Corona Virus

"What the heck are you going to do when the carry outs start closing"

They started to close around here and I for one will not miss them.

Last Tuesday I went and sat in a car line two blocks long to get ribs for $10 a half slab.
They were great but as soon as my wife and I got done with them I started to think back to an hour or so when I bought them.
The carry out was passing out ribs and handing money back and forth as fast as they could.
Nobody selling had a mask on and they all were passing money and ribs being packaged.
They were taking no precaution at all to protect their customers and themselves from the virus.
Today is Friday and I'm ok with no symptoms but still scared as heck because of how stupid I was to buy ribs from them.
As of last Tuesday i'll not buy carry out from anywhere only buying from large chain grocery stores when their not crowded.
Sorry to say I got a facebook pass it on about a pizza shop owner in the county below us dying from the virus.
I feel for the family but the other side of it makes me mad that they may have passed the virus on to many people staying open to make a buck.
There's no difference between Sally the waitress loosing her job and the owner of a small carry out loosing their job and closing.
There both out of work we just feel worse about the small business carry out closing.
From here out it's Digiorno instead of local, burgers on the grill instead of Wendy's and you know the rest.
So sorry the pizza shop owner passed but how may might he have killed or yet to kill because he stayed open?
I hope the number is zero but I doubt it.
Way back when I serviced typewriters in the largest hospital in town.
Back then the bosses didn't care if you went to work sick or not and you'd better be 'real' sick to stay home having to report in every day.
To this day it bothers me and rightfully so it should that I so often while ill rode up and down in patient elevators with patients.
Yes i'm sorry about it but didn't know any better and yes did it for the money and fear of loosing my job.
But it was wrong and carry outs which do not know for sure nobody working for them has it should close or at the least not be bought from.
This will pass and so will all of us, it's only a matter of time for both.

Just be careful about who made and packaged your frozen pizza, along with the butcher who ground the beef and packaged it, Paul.

Fast food or home-made, there's a good enough reason right there to pray over our food. :)

Don't live in fear. Use common sense, make good decisions, pray, and live life.
"for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." 1Tim1:7

Just be careful about who made and packaged your frozen pizza, along with the butcher who ground the beef and packaged it, Paul.

Fast food or home-made, there's a good enough reason right there to pray over our food. :)

Don't live in fear. Use common sense, make good decisions, pray, and live life.
"for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control." 1Tim1:7
Amen to that.

Brian my industrial 60w actual UV led bulbs show up today. I will be able to sterilize packages in the garage before bringing them in the house. But I ain't going to do it.

We'll use the bulbs to sterilize rooms in the house at night and when we are away.
I also bought floor lamps to put around to hold the bulbs and I will plug the lamps into wifi outlets.
At night and anytime we leave the house I'll just say Alexa sterilize and they all will go on. ... :)

Brian my industrial 60w actual UV led bulbs show up today. I will be able to sterilize packages in the garage before bringing them in the house. But I ain't going to do it.

We'll use the bulbs to sterilize rooms in the house at night and when we are away.
I also bought floor lamps to put around to hold the bulbs and I will plug the lamps into wifi outlets.
At night and anytime we leave the house I'll just say Alexa sterilize and they all will go on. ... :)
Seems like a little overkill but hey, whatever works!

Years ago, there was talk of irratiating food to remove bacteria, germs and viruses. Was met with opposition as the negative vibe given to anything to do with radiation.

May get some traction after this????

Years ago, there was talk of irratiating food to remove bacteria, germs and viruses. Was met with opposition as the negative vibe given to anything to do with radiation.

May get some traction after this????
Technically if you microwave your food for at least a minute I believe it cleans everything. Had a biologist friend tell me that if there was ever a water boiling order just "nuke it the microwave" for at least a minute and youd be good to go. I assume it would be similar for foods.

I just got and installed an actual 60w UV bulb.

They ain't toys as it says in the ad. I look quickly at the first one and one of my eyes still sees it or ain't right yet.
No big deal I ain't right yet anyway. ... :)

If you get them be careful they are and can blind you.

I just have to wonder if it would be an idea to just intentionally expose one's self, then go immediately to a hospital. Once you test positive, do your week or two in isolation, and then be good to go for the next 18 months.
Let me tell you why that's a really bad idea. Some people get it and it's just like a bad flu. In some cases, and this could be anyone, you're immune system goes into overdrive and it kills you.

Let me tell you why that's a really bad idea. Some people get it and it's just like a bad flu. In some cases, and this could be anyone, you're immune system goes into overdrive and it kills you.
I'd agree with you on the really bad idea, little like digesting fish tank cleaner as a cure.

racing post: 804805 said:
I'd agree with you on the really bad idea, little like digesting fish tank cleaner as a cure.
I was told about this today, thought it was funny. Need more idiots to do this with cleaners, diluted bleach, tide pods or whatever else theyre doing to weed out the dumba**es.

Huge difference between carry-out and frozen.

Once you cook the frozen pizza, you will be fine even if the machine that made it was contaminated with the virus. Anything on the box has long died.

The pizza from the local carry-out place has bits from every customer and worker along the way. Hell no.
And trust me, this is coming from someone who had a restaurant for 13-years. I get the idea that you always feel the need to be open, but there are so many unemployment and SBA loans (really grants) available that I would have shut down on day 1 and taken whatever they gave me. The commercial landlords also seem to be more forgiving on being late or deferring rent vs the mortgage companies and residential renters.

Huge difference between carry-out and frozen.

Once you cook the frozen pizza, you will be fine even if the machine that made it was contaminated with the virus. Anything on the box has long died.

The pizza from the local carry-out place has bits from every customer and worker along the way. Hell no.
And trust me, this is coming from someone who had a restaurant for 13-years. I get the idea that you always feel the need to be open, but there are so many unemployment and SBA loans (really grants) available that I would have shut down on day 1 and taken whatever they gave me. The commercial landlords also seem to be more forgiving on being late or deferring rent vs the mortgage companies and residential renters.

Does anyone know if the virus is killed by 350* for 15 minutes? I know it kills a Burris 33. :)

As for the SBA loans/grants. GOOD LUCK!
The current loans (very few forgivable) are designed to be a stop gap for employee payroll for companies under 500 employees. It's availability is restricted to businesses who promise to stay open during this whole deal, and retain >75% of their employees after it has ended. Think of it basically as transferring money that would be spent on unemployment benefits to the employer to keep his folks at work.

I suspect that there will be MASS corruption of this process and much of the money will go to start-ups that never get off the ground. (Yes, it does offer money to new businesses as well.) That's just one loop-hole I have found. No, I'm not planning on starting a new company offering counsel to snowflakes ;) ...but you can just imagine the corrupt folks who will take this money from businesses who desperately need help right now.
Just getting an appointment with an approved bank through the SBA proves to be a challenge as this deal rolled out yesterday and there were lines of people out the doors of some banks.
While I am certain that there is some real need, there will be so much abuse of this program that I am not a fan of it at all...and I have skin in the game. Actually we all do....the government is loaning out YOUR tax money.

Unless you live in FL, unemployment seems to be the way to go. Especially since you get an extra $600/wk on top of what your state gives you.

As for the SBA loan, that is why it is all jacked up, to try and stop the corruption. It won't get abused as bad as you may thing mainly because they won't loan money out. The SBA was left with coming up with the rules, and they made them kind of tight for sole props and the 1099 contractors, which those applications won't even open for another week minimum as they have rules to refine still. You only have to commit to paying employees, not be open. That's how they got the GOP to vote for it, it artificially keeps unemployment numbers low ;) That's what my company is doing, paying us to stay home and it is costing me $75/week vs unemployment due to the $600/wk fed money. However, it helps me accrue credit weeks for next year since I spend 20 weeks a year on unemployment anyways.

I have a sole prop for the airbnb stuff I do, but like you, I'm not getting caught up in the lines and fraud situation. However it isn't really tax money right now, they are just printing money and will eventually find a way to tax it later to keep inflation down.

Unemployment for self-employed is the route that many will go here in Indiana as well.
$600/week on top of the normal amount going off of your 2018 or 2019 taxes (whichever are newest on file.)

I'm hoping that business will pick up once folks start getting their stimulus checks, but I'm not holding my breath on that. Sarah is already looking into the unemployment benefits that are being offered for us. I haven't had to look for a job in my life, but that may be about to change. I'm still holding out for a big come from behind victory through this deal though. :)
We can sustain another couple of weeks of this' (not really that much different than all the rain-outs we had last spring,) but I seriously doubt that racing will be back to normal that quickly. Keep in mind that engine builders are generally slow during the summer months as everyone already has their equipment and is running it. We don't see many rebuilds in May, June, July...a few trickle in by August for some big money shows or mid-season rebuilds, then we're dead again until the first of the year. We will likely lose one complete rebuild cycle, sets of tires, clutch rebuilds, and of course all the consumables that guys won't be needing since they're not racing.
Right now, no one is ordering anything, big ticket items OR small. That concerns me. Usually we are 6 weeks back on work this time of year. It could have been worse, though. Had this virus hit 2-3 weeks earlier, we would have lost all of our January-February sales that we are still getting caught up on today. PTL for the work that we do have!

I got you Brian. As I said, outside of my airbnb I run for a guy, I don't have as much business dealings any more. I know that if this ends by August, We will make out like crazy since I am already on unemployment all summer anyways so every week through July 31st is an extra $600 I normally don't get. But, if it goes beyond that, both myself and my wife will be out of work since she works in college athletics and I work at a frat. I mean, that would kill both of our paychecks, insurance and my side job doing TV stats gigs. The only reason I'm not ordering stuff is A) it isn't essential so I'm not making UPS delivery it for it to sit in a shed and B) I need to be sure we are good on work in August. If we are, I've got a few thousand dollars worth of karting parts including a new chassis sitting in online carts just waiting for me to hit the payment button. Only thing I figure is that if it goes into August, we'll get some sort of universal paycheck nationwide and it may not hit me as bad as it could.

Plenty of people losing their ass over this and I wish I felt confident enough to help support them right now, but I don't. Hoping that day comes soon.

Last edited:
I finally pulled the dirt karts outta the shed and made a list of what we could use. Then thought about the fact that we only ran 10 races last year, so technically we really don’t need anything, besides tires and prep. At this point there’s no need to drop $1500 there not knowing if we’re actually going to be racing. Now I also heard the last couple of days that Vegas are hard to come by ?

Next
20200404_171359.jpg

Back