Covid 19? Stay home build minibike engine.

leoofc

Well I have extra time on my hands now so I want to do a project Ive been thinking about for a while now. I want to do a mild build on a 5hp BS non raptor tiller engine. I don't want to weld the block or do anything too fancy. I want to put a billet rod in, an improved oil dipper, and a cam that will not require any valve change. I have 04-3 and 7x written down in some old notes. I also want to go with a 3 1/2 cast iron flywheel only because I have a couple lying around with the coil drop-down etc. Do I just pull the plastic gov gear out and just toss it? I also already did a few carb mods as instructed in the build 5hp racing motor book. I have installed rings and pistons before and do know the basics. If anyone has a cam that may be suitable for me Im interested.Also welcome any other advice.

yeah as said above if you don’t want to weld it up get into the smaller base cams that let you run the 1.700 lifter. Or chamfer the lifter boss up and cross your fingers.

I just got off the dynocam site and could see that the 04-3 and 7x might be blockbusters. I think I need the 00-4 grind but am unsure if its available. I might have to go with the stock cam and just advance the timing a bit. Of course Im just guessing that's why I need your guys help.

there just slapper cams.id say there all a little rough on the block.i run a 96-3 in one motor no problems but you better include welding lifter bore,billet rod etc.The 94ss is a good one for you not much extra work needed easier on the block...but honestly do the extra work on the block by a billet rod doesn't cost that much...great insurance policy!

Roberts kart shop still sells the 94ss

We've got lots of flathead cams and parts here on the shelf, as well as access to more if needed.
The slapper cams won't be an issue if you put heavy enough springs on them to NOT loft the valves. Simple solution.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

^^^
Thats something i was just thinking about .
Questions ?
What breaks the lifter bore ? The landing or the tossing ?
How much pressure 26 lbs ?
Why not just sand the loft off the lobe ?

^^^
Thats something i was just thinking about .
Questions ?
What breaks the lifter bore ? The landing or the tossing ? Collision of the valve stem with the lifter stem. coil bind, banging the valve off the top of the head, bottoming out the lifter - ALL = bad news for lifter bores.
How much pressure 26 lbs ? 26# would probably do, at least at lower rpm -- I generally go 28-30 #.
Why not just sand the loft off the lobe ? Because your hand and sandpaper do not equal a cam grinder, and you'll take the heat treat right out of the lobe by sanding it down enough to make a difference.

Take a good set of double springs and remove the inner spring - problem solved AND you've now got automotive style retainers and keepers that do not chew up the valve stems near as bad as oem retainers.

Thanks guys, I have a stock length arc billet rod and a 94ss coming from Roberts kart shop. They accepted paypal which works well for me.This motor does not have to withstand the rigors of racing so Im hoping to get by with stock valve springs.

Thanks guys, I have a stock length arc billet rod and a 94ss coming from Roberts kart shop. They accepted paypal which works well for me.This motor does not have to withstand the rigors of racing so Im hoping to get by with stock valve springs.

I hope you didn't "not" order it from us because you thought we do not accept paypal.
We, do accept paypal, although I am not fond of their services to be sure. We already accept credit and bank debit cards through our shop with no fees. :)

I ordered there on another posters recommendation.I went to your site first but was confused on how to order.I love your dedication to flatheads and your expertise.I will be ordering more stuff and also need more advice. I sell stuff on ebay and know how the flip side of the coin works with Paypal.

I ordered there on another posters recommendation.I went to your site first but was confused on how to order.I love your dedication to flatheads and your expertise.I will be ordering more stuff and also need more advice. I sell stuff on ebay and know how the flip side of the coin works with Paypal.

Yea, our website is not designed for direct sales -- ie no shopping cart. That does have it's drawbacks, especially for those that can't (or choose not to) call during business hours.
We have debated over the years of adding a shopping cart (and may do so eventually) but I still like the personal interaction with our customers. We're so much more than simply a new parts supplier (there are lots of good ones out there already)...we specialize in service (machining, engine blueprinting, rebuilding, tire blueprinting, clutch blueprinting, rebuilding, specialty fabrication, etc - more labor intensive than part numbers.) It's hard to fit things like that into a shopping cart.
When a guy calls and says he want a set of Burris 33s cut...consider that we need to know what his track is like, how he needs them cut, how thick, what profile (we now have 7 right side templates alone), what sizes, what stagger, what brand of wheels, what widths, what offsets, any chemical prep-work, etc etc. - those kind of things that we do here in the shop daily don't fit into shopping carts too well. Maybe someday, but for now we've decided to keep our business more personally connected.
If it's for a flathead, we probably have it. :)

I can see you run a very professional operation geared to the racer and am even surprised you have the time to answer a small time hobbiest like myself. In any case I will be ordering via telephone.

Well I got my order from Roberts kart shop and another order from Carlson motor sports.But still no cam. Does anyone have a dynocam 94ss that you would like to sell? Or its equivalent? Also quick question-My dual bearing crank doesnt have a timing mark stamped on the timing gear like all my other cranks. There seems to be a mark on the counterweight.Did B&S do this?

the mark on counter weight is it a small hole .
Its on all mine .
Just compare to the others and mark that tooth .

Well I got my order from Roberts kart shop and another order from Carlson motor sports.But still no cam. Does anyone have a dynocam 94ss that you would like to sell? Or its equivalent? Also quick question-My dual bearing crank doesnt have a timing mark stamped on the timing gear like all my other cranks. There seems to be a mark on the counterweight.Did B&S do this?

Some cranks do not have timing marks on them. You align the mark on the timing gear (it is keyed) with the dot on the cam.

I'll dig through some old used stuff I have in the back -- I "doubt" if I have a 94SS, but I surely have something similar from all the buy-outs we've done over the years.
Give us a call 1st of the week if you don't find something sooner.

Back