cr450 build help

castshop

i have race karts over 20 years going to build a 20012 triton with stock 2005 cr450. what rear gear ? 12 is on the front 1/4mile dirt. what fuel pump? best way to start? what or how did you build nerf bar to flip up so the side panels will go up? thanks

I run an 04 450 but it aint stock
-15/24ish in high gear. I have 13,14,15 fronts and 24-28 rears. The track we run on is a touch bigger than 1/4mile @1430'
-I use the Mikuni round pulse pump with two outlets. One to the carb and the other back to the tank with a restrictor pill in it. I used 1/4" aluminum round bar and drilled a 1/8" hole in it. The pulse I get from the intake runner in the head.
-The Wendle Pogie cover mod is the best way I have seen to use a kart starter on a 450, but that is Honda only.
-I don't think people flip their nerfs, I think they just flip the side panel up on the nerf or remove it.
Good Luck and have fun!

To make a "quick flip" nerf, I'd cut a slot parallel to chassis nerf stub along its' whole top. Then make a small partial T cut to halfway down from top at the base (chassis side) of the stub, and bend the tabs up like a U. Drill a sideways hole through the tabs and nerf to use a quick-link pin. The front nerf holes could be slotted to allow you to leave that pin in to flip up nerf, or you could just remove both pins when you went to flip it up.

Hi Ted, Did you use this method on your UAS build ? I’m looking for an easy way to lift our wedge body - either pivot off the back or remove quickly. Currently, the side panels are all attached with Dzus; the wing removal is the slowest part of the process.

Our nerf were built into the side panels . A stub in the front that acted as a hinge then pined to the rear stub . Pull the pin and flip up .
Basic two sides and a cross panel /spoiler in back no exotic wings like i see now on many uas karts .
A front wing would complicate things a bunch .
Something you could slide back off the front stub then flip up might work .
Two sliding tubes one inside the other .

Last edited:
thanks for the help i got a judges mount have a poggie cover on the way. i was thinking of a dellorto fuel pump little moor money but looks simple. i think i like the stub in front bar i was thinking welding a bolt in the front for a hinge. i make carbon fiber so in am making my sides and nose sorry i dont build them for any one else any moor. I got cancer last year so only make 1 a year for me. i still need hub and gear thinking qrc.and build shifter i think it will be done by the new year.

Alot of the guys down here in the southeast just come off the rear bumper and flip back , easy and fast. Chuck.

Hi Ted, Did you use this method on your UAS build ? I’m looking for an easy way to lift our wedge body - either pivot off the back or remove quickly. Currently, the side panels are all attached with Dzus; the wing removal is the slowest part of the process.

I reasoned it out, but am doing it on my next one...haven't had to flip my wedges for any reason...I just work around it. But I do drill new sideways nerf holes and use quicklink pins instead of bolts -- quicker and less prone to fall out...

I like the sprocket hubs we build the best, but we don't work cheap so most pass. I would almost bet everything our hub wont break or damage the key way with any amount of power. I have had great luck with the cheaper QRC gears, but I hear the Chatauqua ones are very nice. I wouldn't use just one of the bike rads, but if you race in the winter or a colder climate you might get away with it? These engines don't really hold much coolant so I like the bigger rads. I use an oil cooler from a v8 as my radiator. Its an Earls I bought from Summit. Lots of peeps like the Banshee or the ATV rads.

Here is my radiator for size

Attachments

• UAS.jpg
    UAS.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 188
Sometimes it's a lot easier to put the current system on the shelf a nd build a wing from scratch , I built one from 1/2×1/8 angle steel, it looked heavy but only 5-8 lb

I use the Chautauqua gears and sprockets on my VC 460 kart for road races. Excellent quality and almost no noticable wear after one race weekend. 428 pitch.

i built my wing and sides out of carbon fiber wing 1.1 lb, sides 1.3 each. i reinforced everything with 1/4 inch dell rod . when you lay the carbon over the rod it makes it very strong and no weight. i will not flip it up it will come off very ez if i need it off. i can use stock nerf bars and i made a carbon brace off back bumper. the head is at the mc. shop getting ported . i am almost done will post pics when done

Back