Crane cams

Ten -4 . Now the question . Is it a floater cam ?
I don't think crane was grinding that type . .
The springs you have should work fine .
Length , installed height and coil bind are things too check .
I dont think it is but im not certain.
They should be just fine. I'll check for both of those. Thanks for the assistance. From what ive heard these are like a notch past stock...

Add a little note to springs here, and this applies to all the OHV and flathead valve springs.

Spring pressure is the key to getting the new Slapper style of cams to float the intake valve at the upper RPM range and keep them in some sort of control. Bottom line on valve springs is to have just enough pressure to float the valves in a somewhat controlled manner and yet not have too little or too much pressure. Excessive "too much" spring pressure is just wasting HP due to the added resistance. A spring whose installed height is greater will have less installed spring pressure than one installed at a smaller height. Also, used springs will exhibit less pressure due to them being heat cycled many times in an engine. New stock springs from Briggs will typically lose a couple lbs of pressure after being ran a few hours. (Stock 5hp springs are maybe 10lb at best). There's a reason for specifications/recommendations on the numbers.:)

Let's not forget about valve lash! A vital part in achieving optimum HP.

Back