Crank gear

Thanks for the referral.
We've got the timing gears and bearings in stock.
What crank and sidecover you have will determine what ball bearings to use. The original dual bearing cranks used a bushing pressed onto the crank, and a bearing pressed onto that on one side. Most do away with that and use a slip fit bearing instead. Lots of options -- we've got everything you need...just let us know exactly what you need so we ship once. :)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Do I need a 26 teeth or a 29 teeth for a stroker?
Are you putting this in a flathead, or animal?

The number of teeth on crank gear needed for a particular engine does not change because of the stroke. Stock block flathead will always use flathead crank gear. Same for stock block animal, even if using flathead crank, still needs the same number of teeth on the gear.

Coincidently, that number is always half the number of teeth on the required cam gear.

Why can't you just count the number of teeth, the ratio has to be 2 – 1............. right?
Yes and no. Depending on the motor, the crank gears have different widths for the key.

As an aside, for my personal motors I used to go through the lawnmower boneyards for the old 202 crankshafts with the fixed gear, and chuck the crankshaft in a lathe, using wet/dry sandpaper to clearance a slip fit for the sidecover bearing.
Most of them had rod material melted onto the rod journal, so muriatic acid would be needed to to clean the aluminum off. But the journals were so hard on those old fixed gear cranks that wear was never a problem. And the gear NEVER broke.
Still got a box of them in storage somewhere. :)

Yes and no. Depending on the motor, the crank gears have different widths for the key.

As an aside, for my personal motors I used to go through the lawnmower boneyards for the old 202 crankshafts with the fixed gear, and chuck the crankshaft in a lathe, using wet/dry sandpaper to clearance a slip fit for the sidecover bearing.
Most of them had rod material melted onto the rod journal, so muriatic acid would be needed to to clean the aluminum off. But the journals were so hard on those old fixed gear cranks that wear was never a problem. And the gear NEVER broke.
Still got a box of them in storage somewhere. :)
And if you went through enough of them, you'd find the ones with the casting parting lines that were offset....I'll let you use your imagination from there.
Still have some of these cranks ourselves, Bob. The old adage is still true: They don't make them like they used to.

Back