Crank Pins

Make sure you check the halves for crank pin interference Mike. Most of the ones I've checked were too tight, and I recently saw a crank half split (which is what drove me to checking every crank I had here - and subsequently honing almost all of them).

PM

Make sure you check the halves for crank pin interference Mike. Most of the ones I've checked were too tight, and I recently saw a crank half split (which is what drove me to checking every crank I had here - and subsequently honing almost all of them).

PM
What do you want for fit, I have honed them to .003,5 to .004 interference fit

Mike,

I put them at .0031"-.0032" (solid crankpin).

I also mirror polish a tiny radius on the crank pin bore (both ends) and also slightly polish the sharp corner on the OD where the angle meets the outside diameter. And of course I mirror polish a tiny radius on the ends of the crankpin as well.

PM

Mike,

I put them at .0031"-.0032" (solid crankpin).

I also mirror polish a tiny radius on the crank pin bore (both ends) and also slightly polish the sharp corner on the OD where the angle meets the outside diameter. And of course I mirror polish a tiny radius on the ends of the crankpin as well.

PM
Pete and Mike what do you recommend for EP lube when you assemble?

Sunnen once made an extreme pressure lube, which as I recall was in a spray can? I ran out a couple of decades ago, and have been using an extreme pressure grease ever since.

Ahh... just looked it up, and Sunnen still makes it. It's called: "B-200 press fit lubricant"

PM

70 degrees. At that diameter it takes almost 25 degrees to move a tenth (.0001"). Holding size by .000050" is not that difficult on a Sunnen hone.

PM

Back