Crankcase pressure venting

Wyomingracer

I'm concerned I may have to much crankcase pressure on my Animal that sees over 9K RPM each lap. I only have the stock small hole in the valve cover to vent. Can I add another one from the upper front oil fill hole, or is it a bad idea to vent directly out of the crankcase?
Thanks!
K~

Sure can, in fact, bigger is better so long as the rules allow. The only drawback, pushing oil out. Guessing a Tillie carb is involved, so no pulsing needed for a fuel pump?

You need to get the briggs High G/force bypass kit. It requires drilling another hole in the other side of the valve cover and running a return line back to the top plug on the side cover. This is where most people pulse their fuel pump. It's a slick setup and works great. The part number for the kit is 555688. I have one on my modified animal. It's very easy to install.

I have a question and maybe I"m being too particular, but when I look at the catch can set ups folks are running, I see a lot without filters. Just an outlet with a tube on it. Won't that have a tendency to pull in dust and debris?

I'm not questioning your breather system at all Jim, lord knows you've forgotten more than a lot of us will ever know, but I was always curious.

How is it that a non-forced oil system, manages to get oil to all those places that need it......such as way up on the rocker arms (both ends) if there is no crankcase pressure?

How is it that a non-forced oil system, manages to get oil to all those places that need it......such as way up on the rocker arms (both ends) if there is no crankcase pressure?

Not sure, but it seems like the crank splashing in the oil would create an oil mist that would make its way to everyplace in the engine that is connected to the crankcase via an open passageway. Just my guess anyway.

I agree with PD. The Briggs breather tube is fine but putting a breather in the crankcase direct to atmosphere will not provide, or at least greatly reduce, the one way valve in the valve cover to "pulse" which is the source of oil to the rocker arms.

Many people "Build Motors" every day with out knowledge of regard to how the lubrication system works on one of these engines.
It's no wonder why we see engines "Blow UP"

Back