Crazy Night of Karting

See I am the 15 year old in the equation but it is opposite I am tired of the old guys racing each other rough. I try and stay out of the roughness plus a lot of the roughness is 5th place and behind for some reason they all feel the need to beat up on each plus they all have the same speed kart and have nothing better to do. But this time it happened in every position so everyone was getting beat up on all because one guy couldn’t drive clean even though the past few races he has raced clean but he started getting dirtier and it let to last weekend.

Plus I pay for alot of my stuff and do 95 percent of the wrenching myself so much stuff means a whole lot more to me than if my parents paid every dollar for stuff.

Plus I pay for alot of my stuff and do 95 percent of the wrenching myself so much stuff means a whole lot more to me than if my parents paid every dollar for stuff.
Well I pay for 110 percent of my stuff... And you haven't lived until your 45 year old a** rolls across the scales behind a 15 yr old girl on a 10 year newer chassis in light (300), your scaling 335 to her 301,(scales bounced bit)... It's a young man's or woman's game anymore

See I am the 15 year old in the equation but it is opposite I am tired of the old guys racing each other rough. I try and stay out of the roughness plus a lot of the roughness is 5th place and behind for some reason they all feel the need to beat up on each plus they all have the same speed kart and have nothing better to do. But this time it happened in every position so everyone was getting beat up on all because one guy couldn’t drive clean even though the past few races he has raced clean but he started getting dirtier and it let to last weekend.
Like I said... Their worried about if it pays half the field... I got to get in the money don't care who I tear up

Last edited by a moderator:
Like I said... Their worried about if it pays half the field... I got to get in the money don't care who I tear up
I don't care about the money. I think it would be better if they didn't pay anything. Drop the entry fees and hand out trophies. Announcing the pay in the drivers meeting causes undue hype at the wrong time. No one is making a bunch of money racing karts, not in the area we live.

I got put into the wall passing for the lead on lap one of the heat of the very first race of the year about 5 years ago.
Bent the chassis, rear axle and left rear rim. Also ruined the left rear tire and hurt my back.
All for a win sticker.

Black flagging small minor bumps >>consistently<< and sending the racer to the back of the pack is what's needed.
Major things won't wildly get out of hand if you have a hand on the little stuff.

Racers will race to the beat or banging of the racing depending on the tune the track puts on the sound system.

A track I raced at here in Ohio..... which is no longer running..... used to tell all the drivers at the drivers meeting to be aggressive on the track. Being aggressive is ok..... but some people don't know the difference in aggressive driving and dirty driving. Maybe that is why this particular track is no longer in business.

Use the black flag and make 1 guy mad.
Don't use the black flag and make everyone else mad.

DQ a jerk and he may never come back.
Don't DQ a jerk and everyone else may never come back.

The choice is up to the promoter.

Maybe the heat escalated tempers, etc, but if this is a common occurrence at the track, first have a heart to heart talk with the promoter, then decide with your dollars whether to support him or not.

I've always said that the tech man and the flag man are the two most thankless jobs....but these jobs are not done for "thanks," they are done to keep the competition fair and safe.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Brian Carlson is exactly right. We quit karting all together because every week was nothing but a wreck fest. Some of these kart tracks should be advertising demolition derbies not racing. If you are banging people to win, then you got the trophy, but have NO talent and really didn't win. Not sure who has less balls, the flagmen, or the track officials that allow this nonsense. Look what happened at Poughkeepsie Raceway recently with the NCKS race...

Yessir! Chip told me that he can’t change the way people drive. I said you can have an impact on it. Use the black flag. He said he doesn’t want to tell people to go back to the pits because if he did we wouldn’t have enough karts to finish the race. Which is the problem he has let it get to this point by letting drivers drive this way. I told him you let people drive this way though you won’t even have 2 to fill the field as no one will want to race there. Chip carried black flag around and he black flagged a few guys at the very end of the race but it was way to late in the race to do anything. You can’t please everyone but you sure can run a track that has clean racing by using the black flag.
The last straw when I sold out was after a race night when this promoter knew that there were two guys that were cheating in predator and he did nothing about it. He came to me at the pay table post race and basically told me that if I had the money for the tech claim he would tech them, but they were friends of the track and he wouldn't touch them. I was at the limit of the rules in every way, and they half tracked me in 1 lap. They never used a black flag and tech was a joke. He is a great guy, but he needs to enforce the rules.

The last straw when I sold out was after a race night when this promoter knew that there were two guys that were cheating in predator and he did nothing about it. He came to me at the pay table post race and basically told me that if I had the money for the tech claim he would tech them, but they were friends of the track and he wouldn't touch them. I was at the limit of the rules in every way, and they half tracked me in 1 lap. They never used a black flag and tech was a joke. He is a great guy, but he needs to enforce the rules.
Yessir! 100% I know exactly who you are talking about also. But they won’t claim them. They check there valve springs and carb and that is all they will check for those two.

Jason
I wish you could have been the flag man. You ought to come out and see the mess they have themselves in with this flag man. It isn’t his fault he just doesn’t know what to do

Take this for what it's worth and I been away from the track for 10 years or so but.......

There are some amazing wheel men in stock classes and there are the lions share of idiots also. Karting is the only sport I can think of where the payout gets lower the higher the division you pertisipate in.

I was in charge of the grid and turn 2 for the first ever UAS grand national and gave the drivers a speech prior to taking the track for the feature. I told them that they were the closest thing our sport of dirt racing had to professionals and to go out an prove it by racing hard and clean. With one exception who was driving in daddy's equipment who drove over his head (I have heard he has matured into one hell of a driver and has won more than his share of stock as well as higher HP money) it was one of the best racing events I have ever had the pleasure of seeing.

From what you are saying I would shelf the pred and run with the SA. Sounds like nothing has changed. Guys with more hp will tend to have more respect for each other throughout the field.

Note: not saying many stock guys don't have that respect, I am saying you will tend to find guys with lack of respect flock to the stock classes though

It's crossed my mind a few times, but I'd have to have the black flag, and I don't know if they'd give it to me.
I had the black flag the year I flagged for him... It helped, but the problem is we fought more about my call vs his call and that's why I quit doin it... And his woman scores, me and her had s*** under control, my wife was her backup, and we did it for next to nothing, but we ran a tight ship and guys respected me... I would do it again but the way mopredracer said, it sounds like I would be fighting the same battle... If he don't want to black flag guys... I would be fighting with him over calls and that is not how it's supposed to be... as I used to like to tell him, THE TOWER HAS THE CALL... not the promoter who's shakin' hands and kissin' a**es

Zunkoutlaw103
How much convincing would it take you to do it again?
I would do it again... But I have to lay down the law, which he doesn't want to do... that's the problem, I still want to race, so when I did it before I would jump off the flagstand and run my 350 and have the scorer flag it (my wife would score) I would get out of the kart and go right back on the stand... I think I did a pretty good job

Back