Crazy Night of Karting

I am a newer driver and I have definitely made mistakes when racing and maybe spun out or accidentally spun someone out and it was never with intent to be a jerk or anything to a driver it was simply just a mistake when I was driving made by me. I understand rubbing is racing to an extent but what happened last night has really changed my vision on how I see myself involved with karting over the next few years infact I may sit out a few races or just wait for the issue at the track to be resolved. I finished first in my Predator Light Heat and Predator Medium Heat
I started on pole in predator light and second row inside in medium. In medium I watched a racer for no reason repeatedly hit and driver other racers of the track and into the tires and just tear up other people stuff up. Complete disrespect for peoples karts and just driving people completely wrong. I am never one to make excuses but the races last night have really made me rethink being involved and spending my money with the track. The track promoter is a great guy and honestly I don’t think that there is another track promoter that can get this many karts to one track with how hot the weather was last night. They made a time limit for our class in 5 minutes we didn’t even finish the first lap. Restart after restart and caution after caution. It was worse than bumper cars. I talked to the promoter and he said he doesn’t know how he should handle the issue and if he sent people to the pits for driving like that than he would finish the race with 2 karts on the track. I watched this happen the whole night in both classes and other classes as well. I am at the point where I am not gonna waste my money and destroy my nice equipment for 100 bucks. The track doesn’t know how to use any flags. I went off the track more than once from being hit from behind. I went off track to avoid spinouts. I watched a guys bumper break in half and bodies get destroyed. But the track didn’t do anything about it. They black flagged at the very end of the race the guy that started issues but he did it in the next race as well. I am not trying to make a bad thread but what is anyones input on this. I just feel like track is clueless on how to run races anymore. We weren’t even lined up right half the time after cautions. I gained a few positions by them mistaking the lineup😂 I also lost a few places from the track not knowing where we are supposed to lineup.
It is just a wreck fest out there an I don’t want to partake in it. I love karting and haven’t been involved to long but I will also not be involved much longer if it keeps going like this. I understand you can’t please anyone and I hate complaining about stuff but it was completely out of hand and it was the worst race I have ever watch and raced in.

So part of the problem is the flagman... He's never flagged before and never raced karts, I wasn't there this weekend but the last race I watched Chip (promoter) go get the black flag out of his trailer (the kid on the flagstand didn't even have it) I have raced down there since 2006 when they had the first race, I personally liked the previous promoter better because he didn't let drivers influence how he runs his show which I believe is what is happening now, I flagged for Chip for a season and as anyone who has done it will tell you it's a thankless job, but I used the black flag and told guys you'll get a warning but if it keeps up YOU ARE NO LONGER GETTING SCORED, I made guys mad but that's part of it... I have seen alot of guys hurt from allowing guys to get away with rough driving, it's not the kid who's flagging's fault, he doesn't know enough and nobody else would do it, but I hate seeing this place get the reputation of the place you go to get your sh** tore up

I am a newer driver and I have definitely made mistakes when racing and maybe spun out or accidentally spun someone out and it was never with intent to be a jerk or anything to a driver it was simply just a mistake when I was driving made by me. I understand rubbing is racing to an extent but what happened last night has really changed my vision on how I see myself involved with karting over the next few years infact I may sit out a few races or just wait for the issue at the track to be resolved. I finished first in my Predator Light Heat and Predator Medium Heat
I started on pole in predator light and second row inside in medium. In medium I watched a racer for no reason repeatedly hit and driver other racers of the track and into the tires and just tear up other people stuff up. Complete disrespect for peoples karts and just driving people completely wrong. I am never one to make excuses but the races last night have really made me rethink being involved and spending my money with the track. The track promoter is a great guy and honestly I don’t think that there is another track promoter that can get this many karts to one track with how hot the weather was last night. They made a time limit for our class in 5 minutes we didn’t even finish the first lap. Restart after restart and caution after caution. It was worse than bumper cars. I talked to the promoter and he said he doesn’t know how he should handle the issue and if he sent people to the pits for driving like that than he would finish the race with 2 karts on the track. I watched this happen the whole night in both classes and other classes as well. I am at the point where I am not gonna waste my money and destroy my nice equipment for 100 bucks. The track doesn’t know how to use any flags. I went off the track more than once from being hit from behind. I went off track to avoid spinouts. I watched a guys bumper break in half and bodies get destroyed. But the track didn’t do anything about it. They black flagged at the very end of the race the guy that started issues but he did it in the next race as well. I am not trying to make a bad thread but what is anyones input on this. I just feel like track is clueless on how to run races anymore. We weren’t even lined up right half the time after cautions. I gained a few positions by them mistaking the lineup😂 I also lost a few places from the track not knowing where we are supposed to lineup.
It is just a wreck fest out there an I don’t want to partake in it. I love karting and haven’t been involved to long but I will also not be involved much longer if it keeps going like this. I understand you can’t please anyone and I hate complaining about stuff but it was completely out of hand and it was the worst race I have ever watch and raced in.
Max every dirt track in America in every single class has that one guy who just doesn't get it. I had an issue with that guy this year threatening me after I passed him and we went around a corner together. Come to find out the guy doesn't have much going on in life. The best thing I can tell you buddy is to say your piece to the promoter and move on. It's his show and if that's what he's going to put up with then find somewhere else to go for awhile. And when you do go back and he asks where you've been make sure he knows the truth. Don't get disgruntled and let people keep you from doing the things you love.

So part of the problem is the flagman... He's never flagged before and never raced karts, I wasn't there this weekend but the last race I watched Chip (promoter) go get the black flag out of his trailer (the kid on the flagstand didn't even have it) I have raced down there since 2006 when they had the first race, I personally liked the previous promoter better because he didn't let drivers influence how he runs his show which I believe is what is happening now, I flagged for Chip for a season and as anyone who has done it will tell you it's a thankless job, but I used the black flag and told guys you'll get a warning but if it keeps up YOU ARE NO LONGER GETTING SCORED, I made guys mad but that's part of it... I have seen alot of guys hurt from allowing guys to get away with rough driving, it's not the kid who's flagging's fault, he doesn't know enough and nobody else would do it, but I hate seeing this place get the reputation of the place you go to get your sh** tore up
Yessir! Chip told me that he can’t change the way people drive. I said you can have an impact on it. Use the black flag. He said he doesn’t want to tell people to go back to the pits because if he did we wouldn’t have enough karts to finish the race. Which is the problem he has let it get to this point by letting drivers drive this way. I told him you let people drive this way though you won’t even have 2 to fill the field as no one will want to race there. Chip carried black flag around and he black flagged a few guys at the very end of the race but it was way to late in the race to do anything. You can’t please everyone but you sure can run a track that has clean racing by using the black flag.

Also chip said this weekend was the worst he has had in his 10 years of promoting. He said it is just out of hand and I think he is afraid to scare people off by throwing black flag so he doesn’t want flag man to throw it but I don’t think he realizes how much of an impact the drivers that drive rough have on other competitors like me I won’t put up with it. I won’t throw hands, I don’t fight, flip people off or driver dirty back. I load up and never come back.

There is a video of the race on YouTube but it doesn’t show you how many cautions it has because he skipped over some. In predator light though which isn’t on YouTube it is where the guy just brutally knocks people as low as he can go so they go slamming into tires.

That's why me and him got in to it and I quit flagging for him... He shouldn't have the black flag, the flagman should... I talked to the kid on the flagstand and he was frustrated that Chip would override anything he did, which didn't happen when I was doing it, I hate to say this but nothing is going to change until they have to land a helicopter down there 😞

Use the black flag and make 1 guy mad.
Don't use the black flag and make everyone else mad.

DQ a jerk and he may never come back.
Don't DQ a jerk and everyone else may never come back.

The choice is up to the promoter.

Maybe the heat escalated tempers, etc, but if this is a common occurrence at the track, first have a heart to heart talk with the promoter, then decide with your dollars whether to support him or not.

I've always said that the tech man and the flag man are the two most thankless jobs....but these jobs are not done for "thanks," they are done to keep the competition fair and safe.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

"Use the black flag and make 1 guy mad.

The choice is up to the promoter."

THIS RIGHT HERE IS WHAT BRIAN CARLSON STATED AND IS THE MOST ACCURATE 5 SENTENCES IN KART RACING!!!

Use the black flag and make 1 guy mad.

The choice is up to the promoter.

Maybe the heat escalated tempers, etc, but if this is a common occurrence at the track, first have a heart to heart talk with the promoter, then decide with your dollars whether to support him or not.

I've always said that the tech man and the flag man are the two most thankless jobs....but these jobs are not done for "thanks," they are done to keep the competition fair and safe.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Exactly, racing karts for a long time and then getting on the flagstand gave me alot of perspective... I almost felt like I could read minds sometimes because I knew what the guy was thinking that pulled a move that caused a big wreck and when he went tailback proceeded to throw his hands up at me for two laps... (been that guy) but I was fair, did my best to keep everybody safe, and most importantly, always told guys if they had a problem come talk to me

Unless the drive to a new one is a really big increase, find a new track at which to race. From what you have described, I would be tempted to go to a new track even if it was a big mileage increase to get there.

Good luck, whatever your decision.

Thanks everyone. I am breaking out my stock appearing motor since stock appearing is way cleaner racing there and unless they fix issues in predator I won’t run it

I wouldn't leave even if i can see why you would. I would voice my concerns to him and if it had no effect I would pile his a** up.
I want to but I am just not that kind of person. I can be a jerk in person but I have a buddie who I am on his prep and I am really fast with it and have his stickers all over my kart and I don’t feel it’s right to drive rough no matter what because I will just tear my stuff up even more and it isn’t right to do him that way by driving rough and making him look bad. I am big on partnerships and even though we don’t have a partnership I respect him and wouldn’t do that to him because it could make his company look bad by me racing like that and having his stickers. And I just am not that kind of a person. I am a business man in a way I like to make money but I am not gonna make myself look bad but also I won’t take the crap from the guy that drives rough any longer. The track won’t handle it but I don’t need to handle it either I will just finish my race and not come back.

Ya need to run clones, it's a little better, granted I flipped at the Boogeyman last year because of an idiot, how much do ya want for that stock appearing again... might work out a deal

Back