Creating Stagger

jc57

Hi everyone, I am trying to get a vast array of right rear tires in order to help with setup changes at the track. ive heard about airing up the tires to 65lbs and trying to stretch them, but what about using different wheel sized in order to create more rollout? I've tried to stretch but they all come out almost the same, and im wanting to add half an inch to an inch of stagger in half inch increments. For track background we race a very banked paperclip short track that at times can be slick ie low stagger needed, and at times super tacky to where i could use all the stagger i can get. Any help with what sizes of wheels i can use to try and create stagger would be great. For example i am running a 10in wide wheel for my right rear right now and have tried a 11x8.1-6, an 11.5x8.1-6, and a 12x8-6 tire and all rollout to exactly the same. if i change air pressure by 10lbs it might gain me an 1/8th of an inch. have tried stretching and gains are very minimal. Thanks for the help.

I use rim widths, but many prefer not to because it changes the effective sidewall response on load. I don't like stretching tires, personally. I can set my sidewall response with pressure, to a degree.

Can you explain to me the need for different stagger's at the same track?
I can understand different setups for dry or wet, but I don't understand how that effects stagger.

Concur with Kj26; we eventually settled on pretty much 2 different right rear circumferences and did most of our stagger adjustment with the left rear using stretching (rarely) shrinking (one in awhile) and several different rim widths, as suggested by Ted Hamilton.

Concur with Kj26; we eventually settled on pretty much 2 different right rear circumferences and did most of our stagger adjustment with the left rear using stretching (rarely) shrinking (one in awhile) and several different rim widths, as suggested by Ted Hamilton.
What rim widths as well as tires would you find could gain you stagger. i just put a right rear from a 10in width tire to a 9in width rear tire and gained no stagger............. this makes no sense.

What rim widths as well as tires would you find could gain you stagger. i just put a right rear from a 10in width tire to a 9in width rear tire and gained no stagger............. this makes no sense.
You wouldn't gain stagger on a right side tire going to a narrower rim, you should have lost stagger, maybe I'm reading your post wrong.

Your barking up the wrong tree . Rim width are not going too do it . As you have proved to yourself .
The suggestion of the left rear is the best idea .
Either way you go your going to need to stretch or shrink your tires too size .
Search , how to shrink , how to size or how to stretch /grow a tire .
Or scroll through the threads theres a bunch of them . All involve heat and cool methods .

Last edited:
I can’t be the only one out there that runs the same stagger at every track, except for the 1/4 mile that we visit once or twice a year, can I ?

Your better off keeping your rights sides the same and having multiple left rears......
I agree in a perfect world i would keep them the same. but an easy way for me to loosen the kart up is to throw on more stagger. i was pushing terribly last week, but didnt have a different size RR or LR to throw on to try and help my setup, so i thought it would be smart if i could get some options.

I agree in a perfect world i would keep them the same. but an easy way for me to loosen the kart up is to throw on more stagger. i was pushing terribly last week, but didnt have a different size RR or LR to throw on to try and help my setup, so i thought it would be smart if i could get some options.
Stagger should not be your "quick" adjustment. In my opinion, leave your staggers the same and make the kart work better. A wicked push can be fixed with your front end, or by moving your wheel spacing on the back, you can adjust your air pressure splits, and you can move weight.

I dont do anything other than try to maintain the same stagger week to week. If the kart isnt good I make adjustments with the front end.

Here is a tip that I use personally a lot. Once you get to the track, dont prep the left rear as much as the others. I mean skip a round of prep or two so that it is a few points harder than the others. This can be a "quick" fix to a push because the left rear wont be biting as hard. Not saying this is good to do, and most likely you arent going to win like this, but it can be done.

Seems like you need to do more work on the actual setup and not so much tires. Stagger doesnt make a big enough difference in karts in my opinion to be a true "adjustment".

I have like 15 sets of 3 Burris 33s with like 2 xtra LR's( smaller ) and only 5 LF From 32 1/8" to 32 3/4" all the LR 's are 32 3/4" except the 2 xtra, the one Right side is 33 3/4" the other is 34 " So by simply placing the bigger right side tire on the rear I have 1 1/4 " rear stagger, with the smaller right side tire on the rear I have 1' rear stagger, use whichever LF keeps 1 1/2" front stagger depending on which right side I use on the front, I've done it before every way possible and even though I can gain a 1/4" stagger in 15 min, this is the easiest and what works best for me.
Then when kart gets back to the trailer as soon as washed, I lower LF to 3lb, and purge LRs 2lb or less, and add air to right sides around 12 lb and tires always hold there size. AS for the 1/4" difference in right side roll out costing speed that's Malarkey.

Stagger should not be your "quick" adjustment. In my opinion, leave your staggers the same and make the kart work better. A wicked push can be fixed with your front end, or by moving your wheel spacing on the back, you can adjust your air pressure splits, and you can move weight.

I dont do anything other than try to maintain the same stagger week to week. If the kart isnt good I make adjustments with the front end.

Here is a tip that I use personally a lot. Once you get to the track, dont prep the left rear as much as the others. I mean skip a round of prep or two so that it is a few points harder than the others. This can be a "quick" fix to a push because the left rear wont be biting as hard. Not saying this is good to do, and most likely you arent going to win like this, but it can be done.

Seems like you need to do more work on the actual setup and not so much tires. Stagger doesnt make a big enough difference in karts in my opinion to be a true "adjustment".
I agree with some of this BUT make NO mistake a 1/4 " of rear stagger lose can take a winning kart to mid pack because of a push. OP should be asking questions about tires as he has, but should also be adding questions about set up.

I agree with some of this BUT make NO mistake a 1/4 " of rear stagger lose can take a winning kart to mid pack because of a push. OP should be asking questions about tires as he has, but should also be adding questions about set up.
I agree, but I dont see the OP asking anything more than "what band-aid can I slap on to stop the bleeding of a terrible setup". Stagger makes a difference, but it wont make a winner out of a junk setup

I have 2 stagger calculators in my collection of Excel spreadsheets called Nine Sheets. One digital, one metric. They'll get you very close to the proper stagger for your track.

It's one page of a 1.5 meg Excel file with 44 pages. It's free.

I agree, but I dont see the OP asking anything more than "what band-aid can I slap on to stop the bleeding of a terrible setup". Stagger makes a difference, but it wont make a winner out of a junk setup
I have made another post asking for help on the push. This is just about wanting to create stagger to help at the track. If anyone has any tips as to what adjustments should be made in order to help a push on corner entry i will take all the help i can get as i am new to this! Thanks everyone.

I have made another post asking for help on the push. This is just about wanting to create stagger to help at the track. If anyone has any tips as to what adjustments should be made in order to help a push on corner entry i will take all the help i can get as i am new to this! Thanks everyone.
Which chassis ? Post your current set up numbers including cambers, what size track, what staggers were you using when you had the push.

Which chassis ? Post your current set up numbers including cambers, what size track, what staggers were you using when you had the push.
1999 Rage Silencer

LF65 RF84 LR155 RR69
Front 40%
Left 59%
Cross 64%.

I know the obvious answer is more front weight. without adding weight i have so far lowered the front end by raising spindles, as well as moved seat forward, might look into raising back of seat.

track as 100ft straights and tight banked corners, not conventional kart track.

3/4in stagger, +.5 LF camber -1.5 RF camber.

1999 Rage Silencer

LF65 RF84 LR155 RR69
Front 40%
Left 59%
Cross 64%.

I know the obvious answer is more front weight. without adding weight i have so far lowered the front end by raising spindles, as well as moved seat forward, might look into raising back of seat.

track as 100ft straights and tight banked corners, not conventional kart track.

3/4in stagger, +.5 LF camber -1.5 RF camber.
I assume flat kart ? Those numbers and staggers it has no choice but to push and it should be bad.

Back