Creating Stagger

I actually got new numbers by using a friends set of longacre scales. The previous numbers were using bathroom scales, the weight has not changed 20lbs, just the scales haha.

I use Walmart cheapie scales and they're within 1 pound of longacres....but they have to be calibrated with a known weight first (I use a 5# dumbbell weight) and if you look at the no-load weight after calibration, it's off quite a bit. YMMV. The hardest part is seeing the readouts without moving around and disturbing the numbers... a Friend helps, or intelligent counterbalancing with a cellphone camera.

I disagree with that, sometimes a stagger change can turn a junk setup into a money winner
This is true. I'm not saying it wouldnt work, I just dont think it would be as consistent as making the kart work better. Just my line of thinking, I hate working with tire sizes ;)

I use Walmart cheapie scales and they're within 1 pound of longacres....
I've always had this feeling that bathroom scales could do the job, but tell me, how do you calculate the percentages? Front, Left, Cross. How do you tell how much weight you have to add to a corner to change the percentages the right amount?

I use Walmart cheapie scales and they're within 1 pound of longacres....but they have to be calibrated with a known weight first (I use a 5# dumbbell weight) and if you look at the no-load weight after calibration, it's off quite a bit. YMMV. The hardest part is seeing the readouts without moving around and disturbing the numbers... a Friend helps, or intelligent counterbalancing with a cellphone camera.
I think the problem we had was consistently placing the tires on the same spot of the scales every time. any tips on how to do this?

I've always had this feeling that bathroom scales could do the job, but tell me, how do you calculate the percentages? Front, Left, Cross. How do you tell how much weight you have to add to a corner to change the percentages the right amount?
there is a cool app called iRaceWeigh and you can just input your numbers there and it will calculate it all for you. but pretty simple. add all scales for total weight, add LF and RF and divide by total for front, LF and LR divided by total for left, and RF and LR divided by total for cross.

there is a cool app called iRaceWeigh and you can just input your numbers there and it will calculate it all for you. but pretty simple. add all scales for total weight, add LF and RF and divide by total for front, LF and LR divided by total for left, and RF and LR divided by total for cross.

So much easier.
corner display 1.jpgcorner display 2.jpg

Enter 4 pieces of information only. Like total kart and driver weight+ front percentage, left percentage and cross percentage.
Or, LF, RF. LR, RR.
That's it, everything else is calculated. You can then change the percentages, if you want, and everything gets recalculated, except the corner weights, they stay the same. Inlets you see exactly how much weight you have to add at each corner to attain the new percentages. For instance; change the "front" and all 4 corners change in the calculated cells.

if only - nine sheets could tell you what too move where .
That would be something then .
It does tell you how much weight you have to add to each corner to achieve the percentages you want.

A program that tells you exactly how to do that is far beyond my capabilities. How do you decide?

I set kart and driver on scales . Reach into my bag of lead . Place the lead where i believe it will go , then check %'s . Major adjustments require seat movment .

I do the math with formulas in my own excel spreadsheet. I use the numbers for baseline and reference only....track conditions dictate where they end up.

I think the problem we had was consistently placing the tires on the same spot of the scales every time. any tips on how to do this?
One thing to do with bathroom scales is to cut a metal plate or a piece of 1/2" plywood to cover each scale pad, except the readout. Most bathroom scales have varying degrees of deflection, depending on where the contact patch is sitting. The solid plates will give you better distribution on the pad, and better repeatable results.

Back