Creature comforts

JanGaLanG

I have a family member who is 70 that has Copd and he is having trouble making it through a race. This winter I've been trying to think of ways to make his kart more comfortable to keep him out there. He just gets out breath and the bouncing around in the kart hurts him. My thoughts have been to mount his lay down seat pretty much vertical. I thought about going up a seat size for him to be able to add more padding. Does anybody make a product like a headrest that mounts to the seat? That way he will not have to hold his head up going around the turns. I'm sure some of you guys have or are dealing with similar issues and I would really appreciate some feedback. Thanks Fellas!

I have a family member who is 70 that has Copd and he is having trouble making it through a race. This winter I've been trying to think of ways to make his kart more comfortable to keep him out there. He just gets out breath and the bouncing around in the kart hurts him. My thoughts have been to mount his lay down seat pretty much vertical. I thought about going up a seat size for him to be able to add more padding. Does anybody make a product like a headrest that mounts to the seat? That way he will not have to hold his head up going around the turns. I'm sure some of you guys have or are dealing with similar issues and I would really appreciate some feedback. Thanks Fellas!
I’ve never seen a seat headrest. Some people run a connection between there left shoulder and helmet so they don’t have to fight the g forces as bad in the turns.

Just a few ideas you may have already thought about

A bigger than normal steering wheel, that is padded. (Easier to turn, less vibration)

What about like a Hans or hutchens device, and adjust it a little tighter? May work with a bigger seat and padding.

Maybe figure out a way to get fresh, better air into his helmet somehow, some kind of forced air deal

Big rubber grommets in between the seat and mounts

Pretty cool that you're trying to keep an older racer going! Hope it all works out!

you can use a helmet support that goes around the arm but be sure to mount it on the helmet in the center as it will twist your head. or you could look at something like this
https://pitstopusa.com/c-131806-sea...at-supports-and-components-head-supports.html
or make something like it.
most profesional race drivers do neck exorcises.
just be sure he's up to racing in the first place and not a hazard out there please. don't want to stop anybody from racing but...

LaJoie makes a halo style headrest that mounts to the seat. I'm in my 60's & used it in my champ kart. I could just let the back of my head rest against it. Made a world of difference. Jeff Hoisington at Rage has these new for $225 new I believe.

Since he has copd he may have an oxygen mask. Using one before and after the race may help gain some stamina and recuperate a bit quicker. You see it all the time in national sports. Add that to everything to make him comfortable in the kart.

Just a few ideas you may have already thought about

A bigger than normal steering wheel, that is padded. (Easier to turn, less vibration)

What about like a Hans or hutchens device, and adjust it a little tighter? May work with a bigger seat and padding.

Maybe figure out a way to get fresh, better air into his helmet somehow, some kind of forced air deal

Big rubber grommets in between the seat and mounts

Pretty cool that you're trying to keep an older racer going! Hope it all works out!
I didn't think about a bigger steering wheel, that's a good one I'm gonna add to the list.

Back