Creo

mike97760

Site Supporter
Saw this in the Eugene, Oregon newspaper this morning. It was about a company there that made creo for 70 years, folded, and left a mess. I lived there for years and had no idea it was there, but it makes sense beings that so many telephone poles come from Oregon.

Pollute. First, J.H. Baxter exposed residents to air polluted with a cocktail of naphthalene, ammonia, methanol, acetaldehyde and a much longer list of hazardous chemicals. At the same time, the factory contaminated groundwater with pentachlorophenol (a carcinogen) and soil with dioxin (a carcinogen). State and federal agencies are attempting to get a handle on what it will take to clean-up the widespread polluted mess. 

Ya retired x power lineman the stuff was everywhere . Just think in the warm states it just dripped off the poles and would burn the skin pretty bad. Later Chuck.

Im sure creo is not the best thing for you but I also think some people go along thinking if you touch it you will die because that's what they always heard, but I remember growing up in Louisiana, you could get creo anywhere, my grandpaw would use it on old feed sacks for the cows to rub on so the flies and mosquitoes would stay off them, he also used it on dogs to keep fleas off, he lived to be in his 90s, there was a creo plant a few miles away where they made creo and put it on high line poles, no one died at a young age there either. I was always around it as a kid and im still kicken.

Creo is nasty but not as nasty as local lore. So many preps have the chance to contain MEK (methyl ehtyl ketone) which is also fairly nasty but nobody talks about it (among other chemicals). Just wear gloves, be cautious, and don't lick your tires... HA!

I have some, used to swear by it but found something that I honestly believe is better. I keep my creo in tin containers and have it sealed in an empty 5 gal bucket just be safe. I've heard tons of false stories about it:
"If you get caught transporting it, its a felony", "it's actually illegal to own", "you can be fined for having it on your property", etc.

I've seen the "creo" secret be let out once at a local track and everyone started scrounging for this "speed sauce" to the point they became blind to other variables and potentials. When its on the money, its pretty unique, but splashing on some cancer juice isn't gunna make a 3.0 second slow kart suddenly a contender.

Creo is nasty but not as nasty as local lore. So many preps have the chance to contain MEK (methyl ehtyl ketone) which is also fairly nasty but nobody talks about it (among other chemicals). Just wear gloves, be cautious, and don't lick your tires... HA!

I have some, used to swear by it but found something that I honestly believe is better. I keep my creo in tin containers and have it sealed in an empty 5 gal bucket just be safe. I've heard tons of false stories about it:
"If you get caught transporting it, its a felony", "it's actually illegal to own", "you can be fined for having it on your property", etc.

I've seen the "creo" secret be let out once at a local track and everyone started scrounging for this "speed sauce" to the point they became blind to other variables and potentials. When its on the money, its pretty unique, but splashing on some cancer juice isn't gunna make a 3.0 second slow kart suddenly a contender.
Absolutely correct! But when ya need it you better have it! Its one of those preps that you very rarely need but when that summer pop up storm drenches the track and they go green about 1.5 hours later, there is not much else that works better! About 2 years ago my son was racing a local track here in Central FL and it rained, the track was already a very low grip, wet surface anyway. We had a mix of Creo and wintergreen we wiped on our Vega yellows and we lapped the entire Jr2 field that night.

Absolutely correct! But when ya need it you better have it! Its one of those preps that you very rarely need but when that summer pop up storm drenches the track and they go green about 1.5 hours later, there is not much else that works better! About 2 years ago my son was racing a local track here in Central FL and it rained, the track was already a very low grip, wet surface anyway. We had a mix of Creo and wintergreen we wiped on our Vega yellows and we lapped the entire Jr2 field that night.
Oh man, I bet you guys were happy with the decisions made that night! I too had a near identical experience. Nothing better than watching the entire lineup drift up and out and get stuck while you're put-putting around on rails!

What do you mix the creo with, if you don't mind me asking, and how muck.

The legality of possession varies from state to state from my little knowledge of it. I suspect states like New York (where it's used quite often in karting) and California have the strictest laws against it. Transporting and shipping creosote is sketchy at best and requires correct placarding. Selling and buying it requires a license in most (if not all) states. Now, how much is it being policed and prosecuted? I can't say that it's real high on anyone's list currently, BUT then again with 87,000 new IRS agents being armed, who knows what they'll be looking for in the near future. :)

Now, there are a few creosote substitutes that are sold over the counter (Creosol is one)...but they are not the same, nor do they work the same on your tires.

The problem with chemicals is generally not their use, it's their misuse and mishandling. Use care no matter what prep you are using.

i

it must not take much creo, I seen some people sell it, and its a very little in the jug but a high price.
Most mix in a very small amount. Some mix with acetone or MEK, some mix with acrysol, bite preps or goat pee.

going too heavy with the creo won't let it work into the tire fast or deep enough. Alot of people go by "cap fulls" of creo when referencing their mixes. You can usually tell if its been cut because when pure, it is extremely thick and dense almost to the point its consistency is unique. Reminds me of used engine oil.

Last edited:
Most mix in a very small amount. Some mix with acetone or MEK, some mix with acrysol, bite preps or goat pee.

going too heavy with the creo won't let it work into the tire fast or deep enough. Alot of people go by "cap fulls" of creo when referencing their mixes. You can usually tell if its been cut because when pure, it is extremely thick and dense almost to the point its consistency is unique. Reminds me of used engine oil.
i have pure creo, came from a power pole plant that shut down, just didnt know how much to mix and what was the best to mix with.

Back