CRF450 Questions

Pops90

What all is involved with adapting a crf450 to work on a kart? I will be buying the entire bike and plan on parting out what I do not use. I will be putting it on a Phantom Nemesis. I know I need a motor mount, radiator mount, fuel pump and an on board battery unless I change it to start with a starter box.

I plan on only running rwyb classes with this setup, and most of the tracks I will be running are on the small side.

Is there anything that I am missing? Also, what would be recommended for the driveline? I've seen some people running the stock transmission and some people running a 4 disc clutch with a jackshaft. I'm not planning in doing much if any engine work to it, I don't think I will need to in order to be competitive.

If you want to stay as stock as possible, all you’ll need is a motor mount (joe at judges performance has what you need), fuel pump, j arm for the shifter, clutch lever and figure out your desired starter situation. You have 3 options on the output: stay stock with the tranny, rekluse clutch with the transmission or go to the jackshaft. Some guys like the direct drive feel and compression braking when letting off with the transmission intact. Others like the jackshaft/centrifugal clutch to obtain the optimal ratio and have the motor fall out and roll through the corners to set up and let the chassis properly unload/roll in the corners and not lose speed, plus the saved weight. Really just depends on the big picture of what you want, I say get a mount, plumb the fuel/water correctly and see if you like it first. It’s an expensive rabbit hole past that but there are rewards to diving deeper.

Back