Crf450r gears and chain question

Not sure 428 best option. If you go that way, get rear gears for a MCP hub from Brandon J. Hetrick or Chatauqua Machine. I'd get the best #35 setup available and hardened or steel rear gears. The clutch should moderate the hit on the driveline to a small amount... Others can chime in on what works for them...

I have picked 428 because most i have talked to have said thats the best option and yes i just found Chatauqua last night and they sell everything needed for a 428 setup thanks guys

I use the Chautauqua gears and 428 chain on my enduro kart. Over 300 miles and bullet proof so far.

I use them on sprint tracks on my Tony Kart powered by an Aixro (Wankel). Considering that on asphalt sprint tracks you are on and off the throttle all the time and the power and torque of this engine I haven't considered using a 35 chain on asphalt. On dirt maybe, Charles Stoffa told me he had no problem with his on dirt ovals. Great products by Chautauqua Machine and even better customer service. We had a problem with the shipping and it was USPS fault but they still stepped up to make it possible that I would get my order on time shipping a second set of gears.

Hegar belt drive and 428 chain secondary will be bulletproof. I dont have the Chatauqua sprockets cause I run 530 chain and a transmission, but I have heard nothing but good about their stuff. Adjust and lube the chain, then forget about it. I wouldnt even consider 35 chain with the amount of power you will have.

Hegar belt drive and 428 chain secondary will be bulletproof. I dont have the Chatauqua sprockets cause I run 530 chain and a transmission, but I have heard nothing but good about their stuff. Adjust and lube the chain, then forget about it. I wouldnt even consider 35 chain with the amount of power you will have.

Charles Stoffa ran 35 mm on dirt for his Wankels without any issue.

I know a few guys on 35 running 450’s. I prefer 428 on MX motors because I don’t like big sprockets on anything, and it’s some really tough stuff. Whatever you end up choosing, get a rear gear hub made for the HP. The cheap hubs that chassis companies put on everything WILL NOT last long if you have over 50HP.

428 also rolls very good for it’s size. My only gripe is not being able to get the perfect gear ratio unless you’re keeping the transmission. 35 with a jackshaft lets you get precision ratios. What I found with running 428 was that I had to go up or down 2-3 teeth for a particular ballpark ratio and make 3rd or 4th my WFO gear depending on track size. It was always an in between trying to find the right ratio.

Back