Crf450r timing suggestions??

Griffin4

For the guys or gals running methanol in the crf450s.....what are you using to control the spark timing? And what is a good start point in terms of spark timing? Im currently running 14-1 compression with 100mm piston with a single compression ring. In the middle of a race, im running 120 degrees water temp...with no radiator...and less than 190 degree cylinder temp with the stock Honda cdi box. Suggestions?

Usual lap times average 14 sec zone depending on track conditions. And tracks are normally red clay high grip....north florida south georgia area, including jasper, florida. I couldnt run this thing on sandy or low grip tracks, and its a bear on anything smaller. I ran a completely stock 450 on 92 octane all last year (first time racing karts in 30 years) usually doing well, including 17th in the uas nationals. I found out quickly what i needed to build to not get lapped around here. Now before u say i have too much hp already......give me them timing numbers people!!! What works for u in your experience with this engine?

I'll never say you have too much HP, its not possible. But if someone gave you a number, how are you gonna set it? Do you have a programmable box or are you gonna use an offset key? You have my curiousity now. -50

Well that was kinda my question. I could have an offset key made, cant find one for sale, but thats not even close to how well a programmable cdi would work. From what i can gather, the stock denso cdi advances to 26* at wot. UAS racers have been happy with a preprogrammed map of 4 degree advance that works well for a dirt bike with a less restrictive pipe and premium fuel, or using the stock cdi box....not knowing that these parts we're putting in are not producing theyre full potential until spark intensity, and timing is increased....by upwards as much as 23 degrees more.
I have a vortex programmable cdi on the way and im anxious to play with it and learn it.

Back