Cross % - When to Adjust / How to know?

jscholt

Looking for some advice from experts on the Scythe chassis. Son runs Jr3 in the midwest and we are always competitive in the top 3-5 at each event, looking tor advice as I am trying to fine tune the kart to gain an extra tenth. Curious on what drives a change to cross?

We follow the standard Scythe setup sheets from Phantom, but really looking for an understanding of when we'd want to run 62-64% cross vs say 66-68% cross, or something in-between? What type of track would benefit in the low vs high cross setup?

Appreciate it!

Higher cross = more speed but going to high will negatively impact handling (most of the time, a push)

Higher cross = less tires on the track
Lower cross = more tires on the track

Higher bite track = higher cross
Lower bite track = lower cross

For me a lower cross set up isn't just lower cross number, slightly less left , RF neg camber , goes hand in hand with it.
And on the flip a high cross set up isn't just raise the cross number , more left , more RF neg camber, and Less LF pos camber, goes hand in hand with it.
Once your to the point it's fine tuning I'd still tweak numerous other before cross only, and once your real close I wouldn't worry about only making 1 adjustment at a time , I feel I'm uping my odds of hitting that absolute sweet spot by adjusting 3 to 4 things, the first direction I'd go would be to try to enhance rotation, and better drive off if that provided positive results even if half tenth , then I'd tweak by adding cross 2 % at a time because if the set up allows the added cross without to much of a push off it would have to be faster , keep in mind a slight push off is usually the fastest, also remember most all chassis have a dead spot with cross of 2 to 4 % where you'll see no difference with the change other than the scale number and that dead spot will vary, might start at 60 % , might not start till 64 % , either way you'll need to identify it where the dead spot is, in closing first few tweaks you try might be best tell your driver to go out and find it, and once you do start tweaking it when the kart comes off don't even leave your driver talk until you check lap times, because if you find that xtra 10 th or 2 th your drivers not gonna give what he feels a 100 % 👍.
Good Luck !!

Back