Cross

Should my predator kart have more cross than a kart with higher hp? I am very low on cross right now with 53% I am thinking about taking it up to 60 or 62 percent. Because when we scaled it I think the percentages were for a more high hp kart than mine.

Should my predator kart have more cross than a kart with higher hp? I am very low on cross right now with 53% I am thinking about taking it up to 60 or 62 percent. Because when we scaled it I think the percentages were for a more high hp kart than mine.
Which chassis are you running ?
But YES I'd be increasing cross .

I don't think he ever nailed it down .
53 is pretty low for about any chassis .
I would for sure get it up too 56-57 % . Try to document where the spindles are via washers .
Then if its terrible you can change it back at the track .

Kart has no idea what motor is on it, cross should be set to where it can use all the chassis potential for speed. Amount of cross depends on what brand chassis youre running, weight, and tire can and will affect amount.

Kart has no idea what motor is on it, cross should be set to where it can use all the chassis potential for speed. Amount of cross depends on what brand chassis youre running, weight, and tire can and will affect amount.
Yea, maybe, but the different corner entry speed will sure have an affect.
Personally, I'd be on lower cross than built clones, but probably more than you'd see on a big open.
Set-up something closer to the jr classes use makes speed with underpowered adult classes too.
Definitely agree though that your chassis and weight are determining factors, along with track size, (momentum circle vs tight oval) for how much cross is "best." Then there's driver preference. (not one size fits all) Rarely are the factory numbers going to be spot on for every track and driver. They make a good starting point only.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

It is the black chassis that I have showed on the forum before. I am running maxxis pink and blues. I am weighing 340 and running Predator Light which is 300 pound class. I am giving up weight so after Saturday I will probably be moving up a weight class to run 350.

I will look at my notebook. I think we went off of numbers for a Banshee as a baseline on everything but we didnt set the cross from the banshee numbers.

IMG_2898.JPG
IMG_2280.JPG

Years ago I tuned on early 2000's model Answers, Tricks, Ultramax. I would have to put a ton of cross in those to make them work. Also they were Jr flatheads...this was before the days of overhead valve. The funny part is when I rolled my 2 cycle open over the scale on a straight rail chassis and watched their jaws drop when I put 52% rear and 52% cross with 2" stagger. I let one of my Jr's drive it one day...he said "I dont even know how that works." 6-7 hp is a tune changer when your putting 35-40hp.

Back