Current L206 Engine Availability

OldsSS1

For discussion sake only...Hate to say this, but it sure is discouraging in regards to the current availability of the Briggs L206 engines as it is basically impossible to purchase an engine anywhere in the US these days and thus prices for used L206 engines has skyrocketed as well(if you can even find one). Our local oval asphalt track suddenly shut down over two weeks ago without any prior warning or notice, leaving many of us with nowhere to race. I recently moved forward to sell my SBO motor with intentions to race at a local dirt track in the Senior L206 class. After missing out on a few hit and miss new L206 engines at various suppliers, I have just about given up my search for an L206 engine as most suppliers have no idea when and if more L206 engines will become available. Yes, I understand that this supply issue is probably a result of the pandemic like many other items such as wheels, tire, seats, etc., and it is what it is. It may be time for tracks to consider going to some sort of sealed clone engine package as it seems like NKA, WKA clone engines are still readily available these days and for less money too. A new L206 prepped package is now pushing $1000-1200, which in my opinion, is starting to push the envelope of a crate sealed engine package. Hope new Briggs L206 engines will be available soon as I may hvae to look into racing a different class with a different engine package.

For discussion sake only...Hate to say this, but it sure is discouraging in regards to the current availability of the Briggs L206 engines as it is basically impossible to purchase an engine anywhere in the US these days and thus prices for used L206 engines has skyrocketed as well(if you can even find one). Our local oval asphalt track suddenly shut down over two weeks ago without any prior warning or notice, leaving many of us with nowhere to race. I recently moved forward to sell my SBO motor with intentions to race at a local dirt track in the Senior L206 class. After missing out on a few hit and miss new L206 engines at various suppliers, I have just about given up my search for an L206 engine as most suppliers have no idea when and if more L206 engines will become available. Yes, I understand that this supply issue is probably a result of the pandemic like many other items such as wheels, tire, seats, etc., and it is what it is. It may be time for tracks to consider going to some sort of sealed clone engine package as it seems like NKA, WKA clone engines are still readily available these days and for less money too. A new L206 prepped package is now pushing $1000-1200, which in my opinion, is starting to push the envelope of a crate sealed engine package. Hope new Briggs L206 engines will be available soon as I may hvae to look into racing a different class with a different engine package.
Looks like Dover Power has them in stock according to their website https://www.doverpoweronlinestore.com/catalog/item/8223835/10263791.htm
I would call them to verify.

I know of some used ones for sale... but they're a hot commodity, as you mention. PM me if you need one.

Where are you out of? The best thing you can do is get on a couple of waiting lists and see who calls you first. At this point, no one is going to guarantee you delivery by season start, but you would have pretty good odds still.

Just went on website. Says engine is ‘Sold Out’
You may want to call them. I actually had a client buy a motor from them very recently and I was told they had a stock of them. They may not have updated their website. They are super good people.

Thanks Jim for the feedback, however, unless a person already possesses a base L206 engine to work off of, the Super Stock kit will not be of much use. Other challenge is there are no kart tracks in our general vicinity that run an L206 super stock class at this time. And you're correct, parts kit conversion would be less as some of the new blue printed or prepped L206 engines are pushing $1200.

jjchat...Just called Shark Shifter. Person who answered the phone confirmed that they are sold out of L206 engines and supply chain for these engines is terrible. Thanks anyway!

Okay. Well get on someone's waiting list because they are coming in. I just got notified today that I have one on the way and I only got on the wait list from my distributor two weeks ago. Supply chain for about everything is terrible.

Just happened to look at Uncle Franks tonight for tires and they showed a bunch they had gotten ready to sell.

I work with S&M kart supply. They are a distributor for many smaller kart shops around the country. Great people to work with. I have been working with them for 20+ years.

I’m glad that worked out for you. I got some from S&M this week too. Consider yourself lucky on timing, I guess.

Hi, does anyone happen to have any updates on engine availability? I'm trying to get one ASAP (lost an oil plug) but can't find one anywhere.

Back