Current L206 Engine Availability

I'll try to attach a pdf that Briggs made for 2008 that covers their 100-year history. I'll mention some points from that pdf and some events since then that explains why Briggs is in such a bad position. https://www.eccarburetors.com/assets/images/BriggsStratton_History.pdf

1. In the '80s, Japanese manufacturers challenged Briggs with moderately priced engines in a market demanding engines with better economic value. The Vanguard V-Twin was a joint venture with Mitsubishi and assembled by Daihatsu Motor Company. Recently they moved the assembly to the states. Today the clone poses a bigger threat and greater challenge.
  2. 2005 Briggs open their manufacturing plant in China. The majority of the Briggs engine parts are produced there.
  3. In the early 2000s, Briggs bought companies and assets from Murray, Ferris, Simplicity, etc. The problem for Briggs is they started competing against their customers. Their customers began to look at alternative engines.
  4. The Briggs Animal did not effectively replace the flathead. This topic can be a debate on its own, but WKA backing Briggs and the Animal gave birth to the clone and the different organizations with competing rule sets. The fractioning of 4-cycle karting started with Briggs.
  5. 2008 Briggs and other manufacturers were in class action lawsuits for overstating and embellishing horsepower figures(why do you think no one has a dyno that reads correctly?)
  6. Briggs makes a critical error in their spring order in the Winter of 2018 into the Spring of 2019. By not ordering enough of their parts for their distribution. Many may only know this if you are a dealer on the lawn and garden side. We went the major of the year without parts for our racing lawnmower customers. It's not surprising they would close their Murray, Ky plant and lay off over 600 workers. They saw their biggest stock exchange loss since the 70s. We knew that bankruptcy was on the horizon.
  7. 2019-2020, politics and Covid starting shutdowns internationally.
  8. 2020 Briggs is bankrupt and bought by an investment group
  9. 2021 Briggs is sued by Husqvarna for not fulfilling engine orders. Here's a link, but it's worth looking more into it, https://www.farm-equipment.com/arti...t-against-briggs-stratton-over-supply-dispute
  10. As mentioned by OldsSS1, they continue to downsize and lay off more workers.

It's worth noting that Briggs doesn't produce a small engine in the 200cc range, nor do many manufacturers; instead, they use Honda clones. "If you can't beat them, join them." The 208cc you see on Briggs equipment in recent years is a clone. Since the LO206 is based on the Intek, they are the sole manufacturer of those parts, and they can't tap into the supply lines of a clone to build engines.

If you are not in the lawnmower industry or have never been to the equip exposition(formerly GIE Expo), the largest expo for that industry, you would not believe how outdated the Briggs engines are compared to Japanese and Chinese manufacturers. Briggs's last line of defense is their big block Vanguard engines, but it won't be long before the competition starts to eat away at that market. Not to mention the push for EVs.

Since Briggs has trouble due to bankruptcy, many suppliers have put them on some form of COD. Whether the LO206 or Briggs racing makes money, the problem is allocating the cash to buy parts. With more significant issues, Briggs isn't going to put the LO206 before their lawnmower business.

Quite honestly, I don't know how Briggs will get through and remain an "American" company.

I'm unsure if there is a viable alternative to the LO206, especially one that would make the transition easy. Anything on the market now is a work in progress, and Briggs is on borrowed time. If Briggs doesn't satisfy their dealers, especially those that sell karts or run tracks, the dealers may very well adopt something else out of spite and make it work.

I'll try to attach a pdf that Briggs made for 2008 that covers their 100-year history. I'll mention some points from that pdf and some events since then that explains why Briggs is in such a bad position. https://www.eccarburetors.com/assets/images/BriggsStratton_History.pdf

1. In the '80s, Japanese manufacturers challenged Briggs with moderately priced engines in a market demanding engines with better economic value. The Vanguard V-Twin was a joint venture with Mitsubishi and assembled by Daihatsu Motor Company. Recently they moved the assembly to the states. Today the clone poses a bigger threat and greater challenge.
  2. 2005 Briggs open their manufacturing plant in China. The majority of the Briggs engine parts are produced there.
  3. In the early 2000s, Briggs bought companies and assets from Murray, Ferris, Simplicity, etc. The problem for Briggs is they started competing against their customers. Their customers began to look at alternative engines.
  4. The Briggs Animal did not effectively replace the flathead. This topic can be a debate on its own, but WKA backing Briggs and the Animal gave birth to the clone and the different organizations with competing rule sets. The fractioning of 4-cycle karting started with Briggs.
  5. 2008 Briggs and other manufacturers were in class action lawsuits for overstating and embellishing horsepower figures(why do you think no one has a dyno that reads correctly?)
  6. Briggs makes a critical error in their spring order in the Winter of 2018 into the Spring of 2019. By not ordering enough of their parts for their distribution. Many may only know this if you are a dealer on the lawn and garden side. We went the major of the year without parts for our racing lawnmower customers. It's not surprising they would close their Murray, Ky plant and lay off over 600 workers. They saw their biggest stock exchange loss since the 70s. We knew that bankruptcy was on the horizon.
  9. 2021 Briggs is sued by Husqvarna for not fulfilling engine orders. Here's a link, but it's worth looking more into it, https://www.farm-equipment.com/arti...t-against-briggs-stratton-over-supply-dispute
  10. As mentioned by OldsSS1, they continue to downsize and lay off more workers.

It's worth noting that Briggs doesn't produce a small engine in the 200cc range, nor do many manufacturers; instead, they use Honda clones. "If you can't beat them, join them." The 208cc you see on Briggs equipment in recent years is a clone. Since the LO206 is based on the Intek, they are the sole manufacturer of those parts, and they can't tap into the supply lines of a clone to build engines.

If you are not in the lawnmower industry or have never been to the equip exposition(formerly GIE Expo), the largest expo for that industry, you would not believe how outdated the Briggs engines are compared to Japanese and Chinese manufacturers. Briggs's last line of defense is their big block Vanguard engines, but it won't be long before the competition starts to eat away at that market. Not to mention the push for EVs.

Since Briggs has trouble due to bankruptcy, many suppliers have put them on some form of COD. Whether the LO206 or Briggs racing makes money, the problem is allocating the cash to buy parts. With more significant issues, Briggs isn't going to put the LO206 before their lawnmower business.

Quite honestly, I don't know how Briggs will get through and remain an "American" company.

I'm unsure if there is a viable alternative to the LO206, especially one that would make the transition easy. Anything on the market now is a work in progress, and Briggs is on borrowed time. If Briggs doesn't satisfy their dealers, especially those that sell karts or run tracks, the dealers may very well adopt something else out of spite and make it work.
Interesting, appreciate all the info. I had no idea about the companies issues. I do also get that I'm sure the racing division is a decimal preceded by alot of 0s of their profit. Kart racing vs lawnmowers isn't going to go our way in most business decisions.

Interesting info for sure. Always figured the racing market was last to see the engines. I would think that if 206's start to fade, Clones would then take the place of them.

I'll tell you this much...
I feel like the grocery store trying to keep TP in stock during covid!

The demand for L206 engines is still tremendous. We just got a few in, but it doesn't even make a dent in our back-orders. A significant factory price increase is coming as well. I'm really surprised they've been able to put off the increase as long as they have.

already happened when it was called an Animal. ;)
But if I remember right we didn't have problems getting the animal engine. I think the clone came in because it was supposed to be a much cheaper engine for all the racers. What's a new Clone race prepped engine cost today ? 😂

But if I remember right we didn't have problems getting the animal engine. I think the clone came in because it was supposed to be a much cheaper engine for all the racers. What's a new Clone race prepped engine cost today ? 😂
i pay around $100.00 more than a builder prepped LO206. and my builder goes through the bottom end, does a port job, mills several surfaces and adds a billet flywheel. ;) and :cool:

So your saying the race ready LO206 is costing as much as the Animal BP engine costs and your Clone is only 100.00 more? So list the prices here.

So your saying the race ready LO206 is costing as much as the Animal BP engine costs and your Clone is only 100.00 more? So list the prices here.
im saying my race ready national level clone is $100. more than a builder prepaired LO206 with a sealed engine sealed bottom end and a factory flywheel.

Thanks for the info. One of the more significant mistakes Briggs made was switching to SAP software, I believe it was 2017. Literally halting shipments on all product lines for a period of months. A multimillon dollar mistake that crippled the company, along w/ cashflow led to impending doom. It was shared that the racing division has always been an incredibly small component to their group. Founding fathers bearing the same last name loved racing, that's how the division started...and simply as a marketing arm for Briggs. Protocol used to be that almost all profits from Briggs Racing were put back into the sport via connections with series, tracks, promotors, and racers. Unfortunately, that too has crumbed, even though U.S. racers created the foundation in which Briggs racing was built on. Currently, the Racing division is marketing internationally. Some long-time kart shops have made the argument that instrumental North American distributors that were cornerstones in developing the 206 brand, have been sidelined for other markets. Hopefully we see a comprehensive effort out of Milwaukee to restore balance, would be in the best interests of all racers.

Last edited:
The clone in the beginning was a cheap engine to enter racing and there were a few rules. As time went on the big guns shot holes in the basic rules and long story short, tools and rules were needed to keep the playing field fair. Beginning price was around $350 to $400. Today it is $12 to $14 by a big name builder. Why I don’t know. They don’t do anything more than the little guy who really cares about his work. I just had a customer purchase a kit engine and send it to me for blueprint. Kit was around $350 and my magic wand cost 300. Add the pipe and muffler and flywheel for another $250 and you have a top notch engine for $950. Now I don’t have overhead like the big guns so maybe that is where the extra cost comes in. It doesn’t surprise me that the 206 cost is going up because everything else is. I am not pushing the clone here because I know this is a 206 forum. I just wanted to address an above post that mentioned the clone coming in because it was a much cheaper engine. The new tillotson 212
RS is designed to compete with the 206 and has been tested against them. The cost of that engine is compatible to the 206 but right now there are some things in the head that need attention before I would spend that much on a sealed engine. I like the fact that the 206 can be teched on the head. I like the fact that the 206 has a cam profile. I like the fact the 206 has one spring to be used. If tillotson can solve those issues that engine might be an option if the 206 still has production problems. Just some info for you guys

No. The engine is sealed. How do they twist the cam in the 206? Isn’t that a sealed engine also? What am I missing here?

I know I and others are holding off going to the CKNA Spring Nationals to see how this plays out. Not going to waste money with people twisting cams. Too much money run to these Events with so many questions out there.

Reactions: WDV
I know I and others are holding off going to the CKNA Spring Nationals to see how this plays out. Not going to waste money with people twisting cams. Too much money run to these Events with so many questions out there.

With all due respect, that is the silliest thing I have ever heard. That is the one tech group on the planet that I can 100% say is going to roll cams and do tech right. You should be more worried about your club level tech man and his abilities.

See you at spring nats!

Back