Custom belt driver?

Ted Hamilton

Helmet Painter / Racer
I have an ITAL rotary valve that I'd like a custom belt driver for the PTO...

It's a 6 degree taper down to the crank snout dia, and there's about .750" radius clearance to the carb manifold. I'm thinking it should be possible to make a billet 8mm belt driver that will end up around 9-10t and 30mm wide and the retention plates can use 10-24 screws into the sides... I'll lap it on so no keyway broaching required.... Anyone interested, and what's a rough estimate on price? If I still had shop access and a metric ball end mill and a vertical rotary table I'd be all over it, but time and access are limited for me now..... Thanks,

~Ted

yeah i think hegar makes them?? Motoplat hex belt driver - 14-19 tooth
The Motoplat hex belt driver complete assembly, 14-19 tooth . 30mm belt driver comes with your choice of one aluminum driver sleeve 14, 15, 16, 17,... www.hegar4.com

And just run my j/s with driver and clutch on same side? Seems like a lotta' torque on the assembly -- that bearing will be hurtin' in short order.

I have an ITAL rotary valve that I'd like a custom belt driver for the PTO...

It's a 6 degree taper down to the crank snout dia, and there's about .750" radius clearance to the carb manifold. I'm thinking it should be possible to make a billet 8mm belt driver that will end up around 9-10t and 30mm wide and the retention plates can use 10-24 screws into the sides... I'll lap it on so no keyway broaching required.... Anyone interested, and what's a rough estimate on price? If I still had shop access and a metric ball end mill and a vertical rotary table I'd be all over it, but time and access are limited for me now..... Thanks,

~Ted

We ran belt drivers off the ign side for years on the K30's Ted. They make extension shafts for allot of those thread sizes. It's not to hard to make a 3 rd bearing for them as well. I never ran a 3 rd bearing and never had bearing issues. The ign side of the crank is pretty meaty. Personally I liked the hex drive right off the motoplat. Now as far as a 10T belt driver yeah I'm thinking no on that one. that's pinching the belt down way to small and tight. you won't have very many teeth doing the work either.

I've decided that rotary will stay on the sprint kart....so, no issues. I just gotta' work out the water pump for the w/c DAP now....

Ted, told you it can be complicated, but I am sure Hegar can have something for it. By the way, my twin engine to yours is very fast on asphalt sprint, though the way it is I doubt it can be so fast on an oval. Not worth the pain. Set it on the asphalt frame and have fun. -You will upset some of the guys on new chassis/engines, lol.

If you end up needing some machine work done get with Bob Berlin. He is who made the hubs for the JICA motors that I got from you.

Back