Cutting Burris Tires

Mcgraw5

Looking for info on cutting tires. I just picked up a Jones and know nothing about using it.
Need info on how to set it up.
How much air to have in tire.
And how to set the depth of the cutter.
Thanks in advance for any help

JPMKarting

Premium User
Looking for info on cutting tires. I just picked up a Jones and know nothing about using it.
Need info on how to set it up.
How much air to have in tire.
And how to set the depth of the cutter.
Thanks in advance for any help
I usually size my right sides to 34 1/8 - 34 1/4...thats around 9-10 PSI

The template has a center line engraved in it, use that center to center the mold line on the tire (this is a good starting point, you can adjust the template left to right to cut evenly on the tire)

I usually run the bit into just barely touching the center of the tire, then I feed it full left and full right to keep an eye on the profile/depth of the bit as it moves along the template, without spinning the tire.

Cutting tires is alot of trial and error....you will mess up a few before you get it right. Its not as simple as just setting it up and hitting a button.

barluc99

Make sure to keep a good sharp edge up when you start. Pay attention and familiarize yourself with the sound it makes when cutting, if the pitch increases chances are the cutter is sucking into the tire and about to junk it so be prepared to back it off. This is also a good indication your tire has gotten hot or your tool is dull. If you back your cutter off understand the backlash that is in your screw, you won't be able to back it off a minimal amount and turn it back into the cut without experiencing play. Typically I do not feed more than a quarter turn at a time or per cut. One other tip depending on what template you use don't run the cutter all the way to the end of the template or your template could move. You may not notice it at first but when you change the direction of your cut and its now taking a heavy cut on the opposite end because your template moved you could junk a tire.
People use many types of lubricants when cutting ranging from plain water, water and methanol mix, non ammonia window cleaner, windshield washer fluid just to name a few. Don't attempt it dry.
Bryan Carlson is a goto guy for cutting inserts. I resharpen mine but have resources available to do that.

Last edited: