Cutting Burris

Slowturn

When you are cutting down Burris , after freezing them are you guys just using 80 to cut them down to around 40-50 thousands, then finishing it up with 120-180? How long does it typically take for you to get them down to 50 thousands?

Typically a tire is cut on a lathe to the desired profile and thickness. Once cut the tire is then finished by sanding.

If you don't have a lathe, you can spin the tire on resurfacing machine and use a bondo file to profile and achieve thickness. Then finish the tire by sanding.

I've not heard of anyone having success by sanding a tire to profile it and / or remove a measurable amount of material.

Typically a tire is cut on a lathe to the desired profile and thickness. Once cut the tire is then finished by sanding.

If you don't have a lathe, you can spin the tire on resurfacing machine and use a bondo file to profile and achieve thickness. Then finish the tire by sanding.

I've not heard of anyone having success by sanding a tire to profile it and / or remove a measurable amount of material.
You happen to have a link to a file ? I see a few different kinds offered? Any help would be appreciated.

You happen to have a link to a file ? I see a few different kinds offered? Any help would be appreciated.
Something like this is what I used https://www.autozone.com/sandpaper-..._WnlU88uHAYeFHuyjAhoCkawQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'll add that it's not what most would consider easy to cut tires using this method. I tried it on one set of new tires and decided that paying $20/tire was worth it. If I were touching up a tire or slightly changing the profile the bondo file is my go to. Cutting a new tire using this method can be done but it's tough to do and time consuming.

Having a good tire cutting bit is a big plus as well. With our bit, you do not have to freeze 33s, although most still do since we are getting so fresh of tires currently.

CatTireCuttingBits.jpg

We sell bits to most every tire guy int he country.
You will not be able to simply sand a Burris tire down to .040-.050" with sanding alone.

JonesMachinesX3.jpeg

A bondo file will work to knock the shoulders off a Burris, but it will be very difficult to replicate the contact patch profile from side to side, let alone from one tire set to another. That's where a lathe has a huge advantage.

Tires get refinished (sanded) after they are cut to smooth the finish.

4.jpg

$20 - $30 / tire is not so terrible to mount, size, cut, finish, and balance a kart tire.
Not to mention the hours of work and pain in the back working tires can be. :)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back