Cutting the cage off of a champ kart to run as a flat kart?

chris2fer13

I got a brand new 2011 ultramax C4 senior champ kart. Having trouble finding places to run with decent classes. The idea of cutting the cage off and running as a flat kart came up. I called ultramax and they said that my wheel base is 42, where a flat kart is 40, and they wouldnt recommend doing it, that it would warp the frame.....then he tried to sell me a new frame, so it was hard to take his advice. Has everyone ever done this, or heard of doing it?

ive never heard of cutting the cage off, ive seen flat karts become champs buy welding a cage on and moving the bearing hangers back to obtain the wheelbase, but never the other way around. the c4s were pretty good karts it would be ashame to risk ruining one, i don't think reframing or maybe a trade would be a bad idea

I feel it would be a better idea to just sell it and get what you want then chance ruining the one you have and having to buy one anyway...the chassis manufacturer has them designed a certain way for a reason ya know. There are always people making trades you could try that

Back