Cutting tires benefit

I believe this is the right term. What is cutting a tire mean and what is the benefit? I think I know but I want to hear it from someone other than just what I think. Maxxis Tires

Different cuts for different tracks for starters. Then you have thick and thin cuts. Maxxis are already thin so they cut them thinner, causes the tire to fire off easier ie get up to temp to really get the prep working.

There is a general view of cutting, and then I'm sure there are some much more in depth things, this is mostly the basic over view.

Balancing - Done before doing the profiling, mostly for other brands.
Profiling - Profile the contact patch for certain track conditions. This is mostly for other brands, but some still do it for Maxxis.
Thinning - Thin tires fire faster, but loose heat faster. Used for qualifying and for high bite, harder tracks because they generally run cooler over the length of the race.

I was thinking basically it was to make the tire more of a square so you had more surface of the tire on the ground. Instead of the center being higher than the outside part of the tire.

I was thinking basically it was to make the tire more of a square so you had more surface of the tire on the ground. Instead of the center being higher than the outside part of the tire.
That would be a flat cut, when the center is higher that's a different cut some call, summit cut, some plateau cut, then there is round cuts, which are all different profiles.

Someone told me you cant cut prepped tires. Is this true? I'm a little scared to start cutting on my brand new tires.

Also is there a specific tread depth to cut down to? My kid is Junior 1, they really don't kill tires. I'm not concerned with wear.

Changing stager is also on the list of uses.
You're not going to cut but a few thousandths of rubber off usually, no where near enough to alter stagger.
Someone told me you cant cut prepped tires. Is this true? I'm a little scared to start cutting on my brand new tires.

Also is there a specific tread depth to cut down to? My kid is Junior 1, they really don't kill tires. I'm not concerned with wear.
Sure you can cut prepped tires if they need to be reprofiled. And as far as depth it all depends on a lot of conditions as to how much and how they're cut. If you've never cut tires and don't know exactly what cutting does for tires it might be a bit daunting to cut your own tires, especially new tires. Do you know if you even need a cut tire, brand, and track conditions all determine the answer to your questions.

Cutting tires takes away the "natural" bite in the tire making the kart more free. For a really good hard track this is a huge benefit.
Some people will cut even on lower bite tracks for less rotating weight, besides the things mentioned above also.

Cutting tires takes away the "natural" bite in the tire making the kart more free. For a really good hard track this is a huge benefit.
Some people will cut even on lower bite tracks for less rotating weight, besides the things mentioned above also.
Earl you know Warrior and Outback real well. I've been to Junior's see a tremendous benefit from a cut tire. What's your opinion specific to Juniors?

I just replied to a customer this morning about this same question. Here was my answer:

I posted an article (probably 10 years ago now) up on our website in the December(?) tech.
Basically, cutting tires allows them to build heat quicker, dissipate heat quicker, be more consistent through a run, lightens the tire (rotating mass), changes the spring rate of the tire, makes the tire concentric to the wheel and hub, and allows you to customize the contact patch of the tire to better fit track conditions (ie rounder profiled tire for lower bite and flatter tire for higher bite.)
It can be a huge advantage at some tracks and minimal advantage at others....but I've never seen an uncut tire be faster than a cut one.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

how round is your tire when have 3 or 4 psi in them and driver in the kart going around a corner? might be round on the lathe but on the kart it's shaped like a D
That's correct. The "footprint" of the tire under cornering is considerably different than while rolling straight.
Cutting the tire concentric to the hub is not the best reason to cut a tire...but it is a result none the less.

Back