Cutting tires benefit

You'd be very surprised how much circumference changes if you take 0.020" rubber (not an uncommon cut)
I should have said it's not an effective way to alter stagger. Unfortunately it's a side effect, not really a benefit. Generally you cut a set once and then they're staggered.

I just replied to a customer this morning about this same question. Here was my answer:

I posted an article (probably 10 years ago now) up on our website in the December(?) tech.
Basically, cutting tires allows them to build heat quicker, dissipate heat quicker, be more consistent through a run, lightens the tire (rotating mass), changes the spring rate of the tire, makes the tire concentric to the wheel and hub, and allows you to customize the contact patch of the tire to better fit track conditions (ie rounder profiled tire for lower bite and flatter tire for higher bite.)
It can be a huge advantage at some tracks and minimal advantage at others....but I've never seen an uncut tire be faster than a cut one.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
This is a really great synopsis! Thanks Brian @CarlsonMotorsports In my experience it helps to keep a set of uncut tires in the trailer, especially for the heavier adult classes. I have two JR drivers and an experienced adult driver has taken us under this wing. We had a passing rain shower one evening at the track. It rained pretty good for about 30 minutes and by the time it stopped the sun was below the trees. The track was a sponge. He ran an uncut set prepped the same as the cut set (internal and weekly wipes) and had more grip than anyone out there and won by like 4 seconds or something crazy. If I had to guess that extra meaty tire on a colder, spongy, wet track help a lot but in reality I don't know all the variables and reasons it worked well that particular time.

Back