Cylinder head test plate

• Thread starter Deleted member 21174
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21174

If I want to test cylinder heads in isolation do I just need a plate (1/4"? thicker) that I drill out using an old head gasket as a template? Can I use an old gasket to seal the head against the plate? Testing the head in isolation seems like a useful thing to do.

Isolation from what ? Testing for what ?
Valve seal .
Vacum testing the port would seem simpler albeit the guide clearance .
Pressure testing you probably want 3/4 or more milled perfectly flat .
Or diesel leak check .

Just spray windex on combustion chamber side around valves and air blow into the ports, checking for bubbles. Easy and works as good as any method, been doing it for 20 years................ works good.....if you see bubbles...fix it!
Its an old Ronnie Robertson trick to checking for valve leakage on flat heads.

Steve

Just spray windex on combustion chamber side around valves and air blow into the ports, checking for bubbles. Easy and works as good as any method, been doing it for 20 years................ works good.....if you see bubbles...fix it!
Its an old Ronnie Robertson trick to checking for valve leakage on flat heads.

Steve
Well, dang. I do something like that already. I use a stopper with a hole in it and low pressure compressed air (credit to Dan Pellizzari and the QRC tech series he did a while ago).

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also make a simple fixture for checking seal of the valves/seats from an aluminum port cover and gasket. Install a quick disconnect for an airline, or drill a hole in it and tap threads in it the same as a spark plug so you can use your leak down tester. Makes for quick work to check for leaking valves (AND loose seats too!) We've done it this way for 30 years on the flatheads and simply duplicated the set-up for the animal/L206 heads.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I’ve found using a plate to be a quick and easy test.
91F85AAB-6A64-4D0C-8AD6-21597EB8AB3A.jpeg

Back