Daytona: CIK/LO206 class

I understand there are at least 26 karts registered for the class this weekend. This is going to be fun! Thank you WKA and the racers for coming out!

When the WKA NRRC included CIK LO206 Sprint into the road race class structure, we could never have imagined it would take off like it did!
In 2017, the Woodbridge Kart Club had two at each event. My son and I. In 2018 (the first year it was a true national class) WKC had 12-14 at each event. And now this. WOW.
By the way it was Dale Coffey's idea.
Have a great, safe, fun race folks.
Clark Gaynor Sr.

Glad you guys had a fun race. Wish we were there!
How many were actually in the race? Top five?
It's tough to win those big races!!!
Clark Sr.

On Saturday there were 26 registered on Sunday it looked like a few more showed up. I haven't seen the finishing order yet. A lot of bumpin' and rubbin'.
We went thru many parts.

Bob, we went through our first event with the WKC this season, and it was bumper cars!! We, collectively decided none of us wanted to race that way. Pushing and shoving at 65-70 MPH was stupid. Most of us had MANY years of experience and knew better. It wasn't fair to the new guys who were just learning to road race, nor was it fair to those who weren't willing to push at every opportunity!
It stopped at our next event, and the racing has been much better for it. We even asked our Race Director to cut NONE of us any slick when it came to the black flag. And during that first event I was as bad as any.
It's in the attitude of the competitors. Now, if there's a new guy who starts pushing, we wave them off.
Don't want this to be a downer, the class is super. Fun, cheap, easy to drive, and great pack racing. We just need to use our heads!
Can't wait for 2019!
Clark Gaynor Sr.

I'll be there at Roebling...with a 1998 Birel and CIK bodywork to match....lol. Looking forward to people posting their vids.

We had a great time at Daytona. The CIK/LO206 was the most represented class all weekend. Close pack racing and drafting the entire race. Basically everyone started together and within two or three laps there was a lead group of 10-12 karts, a second group of 4-5 karts a few seconds back and a third group of 4-5 karts about 5 seconds behind that. A few karts lost the draft and were stringing out behind. The competition was extremely close. Bumping and spinning on the first day was common. Luckily the race director made several announcements reminding the drivers not to bump or push other karts. That didn't stop a few of them. We had a kart ride up on our exhaust pipe and breaking it. On the way down it took out our rear gear and chain. It knarled up our rear bumper for good measure too.
Race day two we were hit ON THE COOL DOWN LAP after practice. Bent rear axle, broken rear cassette and bearing, plus a few other damaged parts. All damage was fixed in time for the final where we had to pull out on the third lap with a bad clutch. I guess I missed that in the thrash to get the kart ready for the race. Live and learn. See everyone in Savannah!

there was another person out there with a broke off exhaust running in the front group for a couple of laps...pretty impressive..made it sound good

^^ Whatever you have laying around....or there is a new T/O straight rail being produced this year. Or MGM, TonyKart, Birel, Sodi, Margay, Coyote, Exprit, Praga, TibiKart, KartMini, Swiss Hutless, CRG, Intrepid, DR...et al. :) I'd say that the chassis is the lesser of the factors between engine, driver, and chassis, but I'll look forward to a more informed answer. What I already have beats watching.

We run TonyKarts and we have a Birel brand kart almost finished. The chassis brand doesn't matter very much. We chose our chassis based on availability of parts and our familiarity with them. Parts trailers usually have the OTK parts we need. Start with a 21/58 gear ratio and a Hilliard Flame or Fury clutch and you are competitive.

Thanks for the info,it looks like just about anything will work for road racing. Ted,you’ve got the right idea,you’re racing and not watching!

It was nice to watch a class with so many entries and with a reliable/affordable engine package. It helped other classes too because numbers were going down and this class brings a lot of entries. That IMO is the positive. Very positive. The less positive is bumping at a track like Daytona ir taking the chance of tire conract at these speeds should be a big NO and some drivers will have to learn this is not sprint track racing. I do think officials did a great job reminding the drivers. Congrats on the numbers and all the fun while I was trying to make my laydown work, lol. At least it did on Race 2.

Back